D3 back from Buffer Upgrade already!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by AFS, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Well my D3 had arrived at NPS the day the upgrade was announced, and I immediately authorized it. They said two weeks... I got it back one week later- today.

I'm not sure how much else they did directly related to the upgrade, and how much was to fix my wear and tear, but I have all new rubber, a new connector FPC, and a new contact block, though that was probably more related to my sticking AI ring.

The 2GB buffer is definitely showing the improvements! One good thing to note that isn't specced in the details is that when shooting Large/Fine Optimal Quality compression you get 51 shots in the C-REM display, not too bad as you get 61 with size priority. Those of you who use High ISO NR and Active D-lighting, or shoot above ISO 6400 for that matter, know that the C-REM on the standard D3 drops to 13 shots regardless of what image type set. This has gone up to a very respectable 28 images.

Please note that since the files are constantly flushing to the card, the C-REM numbers will, during the burst, go back up or remain the same or drop at a much slower rate than the number of shots being taken, which results in the actual number of images that can be captured. I'll test that later for you all. The quoted figures in the info sheet on the website are taking this into account, as tested with a 2GB SanDisk Extreme IV, but shooting with JPEG compression on Size Priority and without ADL or High ISO NR.

Happy Shooting
    Harrison

2. Kadath

Kadath

Nov 21, 2007
    NJ
    Very cool!

3. Hmmm, I should of dropped off my D3 before I went on vacation! That buffer upgrade for sure would be useful. Not to mention fetch a nicer price in resale! :wink:

4. Apparently the best way to tell other than the C-REM is on the firmware version screen, an icon appears with two memory chips and a "2X" in the upper right corner, so you can use that to verify a seller's D3 actually has the upgrade.

5. Hey Harrison, I like your kit. I'm thinking of reducing to the bare minimum. Though some lenses, I'll be hard pressed to sell because of their rarity!

BTW-I'm loving the D3. Kinda wish it had sensor shake though, the D300 spoiled me with lack of dust bunnies.

6. Bubble

Bubble

Nov 3, 2007
    Anaheim, CA
    you can only wish. Many members having a hard time to sell regular D3 for $3800 nowadays.

7. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I don't think he plans on selling now... :biggrin: He likes it too much.

I do agree though... as with the D1X... when I sold mine everyone asked if it had the buffer upgrade. It will bring in more money in resale for sure.

8. excellent news, harrison
    i'm glad for this upgrade

9. Does one do this upgrade for resale value? I doubt it. How much could you hope to recoup? Fifty percent at most, if that, IMHO.

This is such a fine camera, it should have come with a much larger buffer straight away. The price of the upgrade is outrageous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.