1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 buffer upgrade

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Phil K, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Found this in Nikon Japan site.

52500 Yen - 14bit RAW buffer increases from 16 to 36 in FX

2. Way cool!!!!

What's it say???????????:redface:

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
  4. I'm not good in Japanese.

Basically Nikon Japan is accepting D3 for upgrade from JUL 30. It's 52500 Yen and will take about 2 weeks. The increase in buffer is shown in the table.

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

how much is 52500 yen in american dollers?

6. It's about $485. Interestingly, I also found the news in Nikon China site and the price is about $420.

7. hmmmm
    i wonder who'll offer this in the US?

8. Will this also increase JPEG shooting too?

9. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    it will in FX mode but not in DX mode. looks like there's a hard limit of 130shots (a counter limitation in the software?).

ricky

10. You mean I can shoot 130 shots continuous in JPEG? Yummy!

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    For $400 or so, this much buffer improvement would seem to be a bargain. I am sure someone will post in this site if and when the service is offered in the US. Put me on the list of ready to upgrade the buffer.

Wonder how the existing / future buffer compares to Canon's offerings?

The much rumored D3X would need a sizable buffer to accommodate 21MP files. Perhaps the future D3X buffer is actually that future buffer being offered to expand the D3 now?

12. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    you can do it with the current buffer in some of the DX resolultions. don't know why you'd want to though, other than to shoot for 13sec straight :biggrin:

i still think a UDMA card is a better investment for most applications.

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    it ties in with the rumour of a factory-replaceable sensor... :wink:

14. pluka

pluka

Dec 30, 2005
    2 weeks without my D3 ... I'd have to start antidepressants. Guess I'll stick with Ducati cards and be happy.

15. This is fabulous!!! Now who needs a D2HS!!! I will be in line for this for sure!!!

16. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

But will they start selling the D3 with the memory upgrade inplace - calling it say the D3 Mark II ? Or D3s ?

17. I wonder what do they have to excatly do to the D3 that they need to keep it for 2 weeks.

I think ill pass. :( 

Me lubs me D3 too much.

18. I'm NPS, I'll get a loaner body if I turn a D3 in! hehehe...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.