1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 Buffer Upgrade....

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Donzo98, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Anyone send their camera in for this yet??

2. Harrison did, he posted a thread. He seems to like it. I don't shoot raw, so not a big deal for me.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Pay $5000 for a camera, and then Nikon wants you to pay an additional $500 plus tax to get the buffer up to what it should have been to start with.:rolleyes:  Are new D3s coming from the factory with this improved buffer?

5. I purchased a new D3 from B&H in August. Came without v2.0 firmware preloaded and without the buffer upgrade. I think it is pretty nice that Nikon has made a feature available to existing D3 owners that may be common on the follow-up product. Nice to know they are offering an option to us to keep the unit more current for those that desire the feature. Don't know that I need the feature, but I'm glad to know it is out there.

6. I think it's cool and nice they're offering it as well... but at $500? That's a bit ridiculous IMHO. It's about like buying a Porsche with a 2 gallon gas tank, and then having the company offer to upgrade it to a larger tank so you can drive further, for $10,000 extra.

7. I think you're being a little bit unreasonable in your expectations and comparisons, Medic. The 'tank' here would be like the 18 gallon tank that came in my car, but they now offer an upgrade to a second 18 gallon tank for 36 total. The D3 can take a *ton* of shots in JPEG in bursts, and can still go for a fair bit in NEF... particularly if you have a fast enough CF card.

The main buffer shortcoming of the stock D3 is when you're shooting with Active D-Lighting or High ISO noise reduction, which require the full sensor data to be present in the buffer for processing for a longer period of time. Or if you're shooting *really* long bursts.
    I do shoot really long bursts at times, or shoot in situations where high ISO NR is a big help. Therefore, the buffer upgrade makes sense for me.

Think about it this way. just about any major repair to the camera would cost you at least $500- they have to pay the trained techs to open up the camera very carefully in an appropriately clean environment, replace some major internal components (it's not just slap in another RAM chip, guys, this isn't a personal computer) and processing boards, upgrade the firmware, and reassemble, test, and clean the camera.

Would you rather sell the D3 at a loss and buy a D3s or whatever for $5000 all over again? or keep the same trusty body with less expenditure?

I love it, by the way :biggrin:

8. Harrison...
    you are, as always, articulate and accurate
    i appreciate the education

9. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    One of my D3's is at Nikon right now receiving the upgrade. It should arrive back at my residence next week. I am very anxious to see how it performs.

Yesterday I approved the service via the Nikon website. I discovered the cost of the buffer upgrade alone is actually $421. When they announced the upgrade Nikon rounded up the figure to $500 for variations in state tax and return shipping cost.

The upgrade with tax and return shipping costs significantly less than $500. Along with this cost you must add the charge to ship your camera to Nikon. This can be quite substantial. Camera owners tend to underestimate the amount, including the required high value insurance. You should assume that the complete service will cost a total of over $600.

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Harrison, it is normally just a slap a bigger memory stick in !!! You're right about the cost being for the techs and clean-room enviroment.
    Real world example - I did the upgrade on my Kodak DSC 760. Years ago, Kodak offered to do it for mega bucks. I opened it, took out the SODIMM and put in a bigger capacity one. SODIMM are the standard laptop memory chips.
    Nikon would have chosen a memory size when they designed it based on (probably) cost and now memory is (relatively!!) cheaper and higher capacity ones more readily available.
    Trouble with the Dx series is that unlike the DCS 760, the Nikon screws are under rubber coverings which need to be removed and then glued back on carefully. Probably to stop people like me opening them up so see what's inside !!!

11. I'm half tempted to upgrade. There have been a couple of times when I've hit the buffer wall but those times are few and far between at the moment as I'm not doing too much wildlife these days. That said the UK service centre is only 20 minutes from where I work so I might drop it off there once the rush has all died down!

Decisions decisions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.