D3 Dynamic Range(pic)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I had posted this shot in another thread. This was taken with my 180 2.8 at F3.5. One of the things that I appreciate most from my D3 is how it is able to hold on to highlite detail, while still being able to bring out shadow detail as well. Look at that white sleeve in this very bright sun.

mike

click on image for larger view

_DSC1120.jpg

2. The D3 does have a good DR compared to older cameras, still its not capable of miracles.

Your image shows quite a few clipping areas (check the RGB values on his shirt) while i personally dont think it detracts from the this particular image (and the lost data could easily be recovered in the raw conversion) the DR in this scene is to wide for the D3.

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    As long as we're discussing dynamic range...

Film anyone? :smile:

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    :biggrin: :cool:

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
  6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    :rolleyes:

7. Weiran, im not sure what you link was to prove or to help ? if he dont want to blow highlights then what ? Get a fuji S5? He shoots with a D3.. im not quite sure he is willing to sacrifice all the D3 has to offer for the ability to a recover a higher ammount of lost data in post.

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I thought we were discussing high DR in this thread? In which case the D3 only has mildy high DR compared to the S5 Pro. Of course the S5 Pro is not a camera in the same league as the D3 in most other respects apart from DR and colour.

That link just shows an example of the extremes DR that the S5 has, it's a better example than I've got to hand ATM.

9. DR ill give you, the S5 leaves alot to be desired from its high iso performance to vf, and handling.

I might just be stupid, but the links shows me a overexposed original image (to small to get any real info from it)

With a D3 or any other camera just light it properly and skip the pp recovery part.

10. Having got an S5 Pro and a D700 (which I assume has the same DR as the D3), the S5 Pro smokes the D700 for DR.

With a 0EV exposure on the D700 I am seeing "whited out" skies and need to apply negative EV, I can shoot the same scene on a S5 Pro and not clip.

There is still a clear 1 stop difference. However the gap is certainly narrowing, the S5 Pro smoked the D300 when I tested back in November, whereas the S5 Pro just gives the D700 a stern lecture for highlight robustness :)

11. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain
    I donĀ“t know what you meand with "vf", but anyway, if you think that high iso performance from fuji s5 has a lot to be desired, what do you think about avery nikon except d3 and d700?

This is a 1600 iso fuji s3 image, and a crop. There was almost no light f 2.8 and speed was 1/10 50mm focal lenght so if you see some blur in the crop take this into account

2716191945_6e64a94248_o.jpg

100% crop
    [​IMG]

And I think weirans example of s5 capabilities of highlights retaining is a good one. I have another :)

original
    [​IMG]

recovered
    [​IMG]

12. VF= View finder.

Well the comparison was made between the D3 and the S5 in the first place. To me it leaves alot to be desired.(as any other camera, but ill take the D300 anyday for highiso shots over the S5)

This offcourse depends on your standard and output.

Nice example, eventhough its to the extreme. Make alot more sense then the one Weiran posted.

Good your happy with your S5.

13. Hello Paul.

This was shot Raw. You are correct, I could have probably recovered more. However, as you are aware when Post Processing, the overall look of the image has to be taken into consideration. I am certain that bringing down the exposure too much in this scene, and its effect on the rest of the image was something that was entering my judgement while in Post.

Yes I agree, there is clipping, but does not detract at all from the image. Quite the contrary, I think the amount of highlite detail that is preserved in this scene, looks very impressive without turning off the lights too much:smile: I really think the rider's sleeve looks great.

I owned a Fuji S3 for awhile also. So DR was certainly a very important part of my D3 decison.

mike

14. I find it interesting folks worry about blown (or not blown) when the compositional issues are the real problem.

Yes I agree, there is clipping, but does not detract at all from the image.

What qualities do you see here?

There is no connection with the rider (he is turning away, no eye contact) - and the head of the horse is clipped.

I can't see many qualities if I can be blunt! The issue here isn't DR IMHO.

15. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Clipped highlights are a big bug bare with mine, and one I struggled to avoid with my D80. This is one of the reasons why I like the S5 so much I suppose.

Paul: my example is just a more extreme version of Paulesko, on the left is a deliberately overexposed photo, and on the right is what detail was retained in the image that's recoverable. Ken Rockwell also has some good examples: http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/s5/dynamic-range.htm

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The OP's image is not a very good example of the D3. Sorry. :frown:

Regarding the D3 and S5 discussion...
    They are different animals. The S5 you shoot for shadows and recover highlights and the D3 you shoot for highlights and pull up shadows. Also the S5 is one of the few cameras that is lens limited. To check its DR you need to use a pin hole.

Everything comes at a price, be it DR or clean high ISO images.

17. Everything comes at a price, be it DR or clean high ISO images.

Agreed. ISO2000 on the S5 Pro looks like ISO6400 on the D700.

So about a 1.5 stop noise advantage for the D700, and maybe a 1.5 stop DR advantage to the S5 Pro (at ISO100).

No such thing as a free lunch!

18. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain

I think this is the key, there are diferent caneras for diferent ways of making photos