D3 - Focus? and JPG Issues

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by leungphotography, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I did a studio shoot today with the D3, 24-70, 70-200vr and shot off about 300 photos. 2 major issues with the D3 that I have NEVER experienced with the rock solid D2X:

[1] About 1 out of every 10 photos, I had what seemed to be focus lock issues. I would hit the shutter button 1/2 way and it focuses... but when I depress it all the way, it would take a good 2-5 seconds before the shutter would go off. Sometimes, not at all... I would turn off and on the camera while the model just held the pose for over 30 seconds. I believe I missed a lot of good shots because of this crazy issue.

[2] JPG/Expeed issues..... I got 2 jpg files out of the 300 shots that I took that could not be read by the computer. It just gives me a read error and that's it.

In addition to that.... I get a jpg that looks like this!

[​IMG]

When pulled up on the D3, in the gray area is a part of another picture! Scrolled around a bit and then go back to that photo and the gray area is just colored lines! Then later couldn't even find the shot.

I shot raw+fine so, so after the shoot, I was able to recover from the nef... but this is really bad.

What gives?

Has anyone experienced these issues before?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  2. 1.Sounds like its possible dust/dirt on your focus sensor, what focus points did you use ? can you replicate it easily ?

I had this issue with the 24-70/2,8 (well i dont have many af lenses to try with lol)

On my D2X its locked focus very fast(well the D2X still beats the D3 for low contrast targets, but thats the design of the AF module and another story) without any problems on all focus points, on the D3 the center one hesitated and often just locked up and refused to lock focus unless i let go of the shutter, and started all over again (in wich case it started to hunt again) Brought it to Nikon, compared to another D3 with the technican took them a few minutes to locate the problem, after that it was as good as the other points locked focus instantly and not hesitation.

2.Very odd, most times this is related to card issues, try to replicate it with the same card, then try another one.

Eitherway i would get it checked by Nikon asap.

Kindest

3. Thanks Paul.... I can't believe no one else has had this issue...

4. that grey area I've seen before on cheap SD cards in a couple of point and shoots, seemed to be a corrupt card.

5. I used Lexar Professional 1GB cards.... never had an issue with any of them.

What camera was used when you saw this problem?

6. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    I had a Lexar card (can't remember which model, but it was $125) that choked on me once. I shot some jpegs, and then couldn't recover the files on the computer. I used a "rescue" program and finally got the pictures, but I threw the card away after that. I just didn't trust it anymore. Haven't had any more problems with that camera since. So any card can go bad, even the very good and expensive ones. Just a thought.

Did this focus problem start after you did the latest firmware upgrade? A while back, someone else on the forum (again, I can't remember who it was....perhaps I'm having a senior moment) reported similar issues right after he did the firmware upgrade.

7. I've seen it from a D40 and from a Canon P&S both with the same SD card. Not had any problems with any other cards. It was my fiancee that was having problems, but can't remember what brand the cards was.

I've never had a problem with the Sandisk cards, but never tried a Lexar.