1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3: in Camera settings question

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by TerribleTwins, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Would appreciate some advice please.

Shooting a fundraising golf event next sunday as a favour to the organisers.

Basically the shots will be of the foursomes together at registration (intending to use my 35-70 for the bulk of the work - set to f8 & auto ISO if possible)

My intention is to set the camera to shoot Raw on 1 card & large Jpeg on the other, with the aim of coming home, burning the Jpegs to a disk & giving that to the organisers as is - no post processing etc.

Normally I just shoot raw & then correct sharpness etc with NX, so this method of shooting Jpeg with no pp is not something I have done before.

So question - is the best option to to leave the camera settings (sharpness etc) to Auto, or should they be set at a certain #? I will be shooting in the Standard Picture control mode.

Thanks

2. I set mine to a fixed setting of 4 (i.e. +1 over the default), but I only use JPEGs for a preview, not as the final product. You'd do just as well, with a bit more of computer time, not necessarily your time, by batching a raw conversion with NX.

Just take a quick look at WB, sharpness, etc on 3-4 images and perform manual adjustments as usual: then apply those settings to all the images shot in the same condition... and take a break from the computer. :wink::smile:

It isn't much more work than just burning the JPEGs, but the quality is higher. What takes time in post is to crop the images, correct colors, add contrast, etc... individually!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.