D3 - Indoor Volleyball Question

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Simba909, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I tried the D3 last night at a poorly lit gym and was impressed with the results at iso 6400. I was late and missed most of the game so I really don't have anything worthwile to post. I noticed that when shooting continous the results were inconsistent. The first shot in the burst was always underexposed and the white balance off, then the rest of the shots would be fine. Occasionally a shot in the middle of the burst would also be off. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I was shooting in manual mode shutter 500-1000 at f2.8 with the Nikon 70-200 VR and auto iso.

Thanks
    Ron

2. kwf1

kwf1

Nov 15, 2007
    S. Florida
    Hi Ron,

When shooting in a HS gym, I will custom set the white balance with an expodisc. That will leave one less thing that the camera has to do before the shot.

But to answer you question, yes it is normal as the lights cycle and your shutter catches them in different phases of their cycles.

I always shoot jpeg + raw, so when I have a shot that I like and the white balance is off, I can get better results editing the raw file. The jpegs are nice as they load faster and you can sort through for the keepers.

Hope that helped.

Bert

3. Ron, totally normal, as Bert has said you are catching the lights cycling. The shutter is triggered when the lights are in a downswing therefore underexposed. Our eyes don't see it as it happens too fast. with a camera anything quicker than 1/60th on the camera and you'll catch it.

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Bert that definitely helps. I set the white balance using a white piece of paper and it appeared to be ok. I will have to look into an expodisc.

Thanks for your response. I thought maybe one of my settings was off.

5. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I would just shoot raw when shooting in ambient light.

The lights recycle so much when shooting a burst that your wb won't matter. Might as well shoot raw and fix later.

But if your shooting with time restraints by all means shoot a wb.

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Mathew