D3 Locked Up! (The Cards are Full Stupid:)

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Gary Mayo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Here I am at the zoo with my wife shooting a D300 at me!

I am fussing with my D3 trying to figure why it has all of a sudden locked up. Nothing, Zip, Zilch, Nada!

I finally remove the camera from the lens/tripod so I could look at it without standing on my head. Still nothing.

In disgust, I pack it away and we are down to one camera. O well, I am hot, tired and all I really want to do is sit in my truck (air cranked up) and rest anyway. This was the second zoo of the day and I am getting cranky.

What did I discover later? Two cards full! How stupid!

O well, Such is life!

DSC_5728a.

2. gary...
    how many pictures did you take?

3. Woah man, that 70-300 front-focuses something awful! LOL

4. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

Hey Greg!

I was using 2GB cards so a few hundred I guess.

Here I am again problem solved at Lewis & Clark Monument overlooking Iowa & Nebraska.

I am using a Manfrotto 3251 which I have now put aside to use a 3258 with bigger lenses. People go on about sharp lenses in telephoto, I think it is the tripod that makes the difference as much as anything.

DSC_5836aa.

On a building several miles away I captured this:

DSC_1371aa.

5. cool setup
    thanks for the reply

8 GB cards, my friend... i see several in your future :biggrin:

6. :biggrin::biggrin: LOL! Been there done that. Don't know if I have ever packed the camera away before realizing. But, I have spent a few minutes wondering why my new camera was broken. :tongue:

7. Well of course, I've never done that! :rolleyes: 

8. Me neither---though I have ALSO done far dumber things---like going on a trip to shoot windmills in a storm, only to find out that I''ve left my camera at home:Angry:

9. marn

marn

Mar 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    at least you had your memory cards with you. i showed up somewhere and realized i left my cards in the reader at home.

is there a "d'oh" photography thread?

10. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I keep an 8 in the D300, but once upon a time the largest card was a 2 at Wal-mart, and they sold a case that holds 8 cards. So I decided the 2's were the choice for the D3. I wish they were 4's as that is what I am told fit nicely on a DVD.

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Been there, done that :eek: 

Two 12 GB cards in the D3 these days . . . :biggrin:

12. What are you shooting....movies? :eek: 

13. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Weddings and events mainly. If I mirror the cards (always do for weddings) I will get about 435 images to a card (uncompressed raw). Overflow, of course, twice that.

15. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Guest

Is that in Nebraska City? A friend of the family did the statue.

Chad

16. Gary, did you set the viewfinder displays to show you the remaining shots rather than the current frame number? That is the first thing I do on all the cameras that do that by default.

Nah, if you want to shoot a movie to CF you can do it, but you'll only get about 4 minutes on an 8GB card at full resolution and 8 minutes on a 16GB card.

17. It was an exaggeration. :smile:

18. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I think every medium to small town with a hill in the Midwest has a Lewis & Clark Monument.

This one is in Council Bluffs. Very great view!

19. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I like that you can laugh at yourself, Gary!

I went to a job to shoot a college basketball game one evening. I arrived about an hour early, set up my strobes, metered the floor, etc. Right before the intros, I got my cameras out and realized I had left ALL of my memory cards at home...OOPS! Fortunately my mom teaches there and ran across the street to an office supply store and bought two cards. She was back before tip-off. Thanks, Mom! :) 

20. I just got the Hyperdrive Colorspace O 120GB today and it's small enough to keep in my bag. A quick download and you're back in business. That's another plus for the D3.....two flash cards!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.