D3 Portrait Picture Control Sample...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Donzo98, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Just shot this... handheld, D3, Zeiss 100 F2 @ F2, ISO 800. Focus was on the left (in the picture) eye.

Pic was cropped, leveled, resized and minimally sharpened. Shot as jpg.

What do you think of the skin tones??

[​IMG]

2. Don,

They look very good on my calibrated monitor. I've not had a chance to shoot with the control yet, but I have used it in NX2 and like the results a lot.

Warm Regards

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    No mixed light...There is a sliding glass door providing light from outside. Nothing else.

4. I like it! :smile:

5. Hey Don!

Wonderful image you made here, sheesh, he looks like you!

Was really nice meeting you today at Nikon! I was dead tired had only slept for maybe 4hrs last night then went to Nickerson this morning to shoot....Oye Vey! :redface:

Anyway, hope one day you will drop in to a meeting we have a fun club. You can check my website in the links for the club, NWPLI.

Hope I get my D3 back sooner than 7 days probably didn't need to go in but well see.Thanks for the PM!!! :smile:

George

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Great meeting you as well!! Yup... he does look a little like me :biggrin::biggrin:

I hope your D3 comes back soon... you have some seriously nice equipment!!

Talk soon... :smile:

7. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi,
    nice looking fellow with great expression and well focused shot!

Is it just me or is the skin tone a bit cyan? Also the eyelashes and stray hairs look a little bit oversharpened.

8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    The shot has very little sharpening done. Less than my normal routine. I guess it is possible the 100mm F2 is so good even at F2 that it requires even less than I used. I must say that it looks fine on my calibrated monitor.

Thanks for the comment about Dylan though... I will pass it along!! :smile:

9. Looks way good on my monitor, Don. Color aside, it's just a nice casual portrait - I like it!

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Thanks Scott...

11. Hi Don!

Cute boy there!

Personally i dont use Nikons PC. Im much more comfortable with ACR. But the portrait preset does give you a image with slightly less contrast and warmer image.

Your image looks ok, and only you know if its true to the scene, dont know what kind of light you got thru that door.

On my Calibrated CG monitor the image looks a little bit to cold for my taste. While the skin tone may be spot on, one often prefer a warmer skintone then one actually have.

Kindest

12. Here is a comparison for those interested.(not all picture controls included)

Image straight from the camera, resized for web only.

D3+Voigtländer 58mm/1,4 Custom wb.

Standard
    [​IMG]

Neutral
    [​IMG]

D2XMode1
    [​IMG]

Vivid Not sure if thats the correct term ( i have the swedish version)
    [​IMG]

Portrait
    [​IMG]

ACR Default mode
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  13. Thanks Paul. I know which one I like the best, but I would like to know which one is what you saw when you shot the image?

14. Roy

ACR (wich i now added)is the most pleasing image to start with, and also the image that is most true to the actual scene (along with NX Neutral).

Wich one do you prefer, and why ?

15. What I was trying to say - perhaps badly - was that the color looks very good on my monitor, and that I also liked the shot as a casual portrait. Simple as that.

16. Paul, thanks for posting the examples (I excluded them from this reply to shorten the post). Very good of you to take the time, and I found it useful even though I'm using a D300.

17. Thanks Paul. I like the colors in the 'portrait' mode. I thought it looked good without being turned too saturated & red as people with more pigmentation in their skin often do.

18. Scott: Np, all the picture controls are available for the D300 if im not misstaken. The result may not be identical, but it gives you an idea what the diffrent modes will give you.

Roy:yes its doing a pretty good job.Thanx for the input.

19. Yes, they're all available for the D300 as well. Your results look similar to what I've seen so far in NX2 with portraits I've shot previously. I like the Portrait pic control version in your samples. The ACR version also looks very good.

Your results inspired me to play around a bit. I'm seeing similar results in NX2 with my shots. The Portrait pic control looks a bit like what I was getting after tweaking the D2X mode I control. Now I'm anxious to shoot some in-camera with the Portrait pic control. Thanks again for your examples.