1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 pricing....wow!!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by greyhound rick, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Hello everyone!

Well, Im the proud owner of a D300 and really enjoy everything about it!

With that said, Im seriously considering purchasing a D3 because I need the additional ISO capabilities and focusing and tracking power for the type of shooting I do most....greyhound racing.

Im sure there is an explanation as to the amazing discrepancies Im finding in the pricing and would like to know your opinions on why this is....

Ive seen the D3 at my local camera shops listed at $4999 and Ive seen it on line, new, for as low as $2249!! Thats a huge difference and with all things equal, a major savings purchasing it on line. HOWEVER, I always worry about the low price zinger or kicker and was wondering if any of you folks know how this big differential can exist and more importantly.....is it legit??

Would love to hear your thoughts!!

thanks and my best,

Rick

2. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Nope.

3. Heres a link that has some very large differences in pricing...

http://www.lowpricedigital.com/item...ord=nikon_d3&gclid=COnGvrX-jZYCFQKfnAod9hg0Eg

I noticed on one of them that the "kit" price includes a DX lens??:confused: 

I havent really looked at these very close, but it kind of reminds me about the car ads you see in the Sunday paper that have a ton of fine print!

I know what the zingers are for the car ads....I guess I need to figure out what they are with the D3 ads!

thanks,

Rick

4. Most of the time, the fine print is that the body is $2250, but you pay to get the battery, charger, strap, etc. that would normally come with it if you paid the $4500 from a reputable dealer.

Sean

5. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    sounds too good to be true

6. demosaic

demosaic Guest

Those ads are across-the-board false advertising. This has been going on in the mail-order camera sales business for decades. I have no idea how those myriad rip-off Brooklyn camera shops have managed to get away with doing it so publicly, and for so long, but they have.

As of this writing, a new, USA model Nikon D3 costs about $4,400 at a reputable mail-order shop like B+H. Anything advertised at significantly less than that is BS.

7. I noticed one of the ads has the wrong card pictured with the camera too!!:eek: 

Hard to believe they could tack on an additional $2000 for "other" items such as battery, strap, shipping, etc., but Im sure its true.

Have you ever or do you know anyone that has ever purchased a major photography related item like this for such a huge discount on line? If so, would love to hear about it.

thanks...

8. I have read numerous horror stories about purchasing from these type stores. There are many reviews of stores like these. Whether it's yelling at you over the phone or not shipping your item, none of these places should EVER be used!

9. Deep

Deep

Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    Plug in the store name to

http://www.resellerratings.com/

You'll see -- I went through the same thing - the horror stories posted there are NOT worth you going through them.

10. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
  11. As always....thanks for the GREAT input!! :smile:

Im the type of person that will dream about getting a D3 for $2500, but will end up buying it locally for $5000 just so I can have the peace of mind of knowing that Im getting a good camera in my hands from a real person and can take it to them with any service related issues.

Oh well, its fun to dream huh?? :cool: 

12. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    If it seems to good to be true......it usually is :) 
    I want a D3 so bad.

13. There are decent deals to be had through live.com (formerly Jellyfish) and at reputable resellers. these deals and others are generally mentioned here and on other Nikon-related boards. If there was a legit $2300 D3 you'd have heard about it; we'd be all over it.

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    sounds like it's one way alright...

15. Do yourself a HUGE favor, and go to www.resellerratings.com and look up the online store you're seeing these low prices.

Edit: I see others have beat me to the suggestion.

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

they were under 4 grand a few weeks back at J&R using that microsoft live search cash back thingy ...currently -> $4,248.69 all said and done.

they're "real" and they're reputable.
    ;-)))

17. I personally only buy from Nikon recommended retailers. But even there, there can be a difference of £500 between them.

18. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    You can get a gently used one for $3800 these days. Won't be long til we see one show up for $3000 shipped :biggrin: (I hope)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.