1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 & R1C1 Capture #3

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JohnD3, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Yet another flower capture once again with the Nikon R1C1/105mmf2.8, hope the forum likes this one

John

2681468927_74fd299b20.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    wow, that's superb. The detail and colour is A1

3. Appreciate your kind comment…..

4. Another picture for the forum to look at

John

2723048308_fdda80aa71.jpg

5. jlcabral

jlcabral

Jul 12, 2008
    Colorado
    John, these two are also fantastic!! Love them both!! The first is traditionally just beautiful. The second is very interesting, very different - it causes my eye to want to explore the shadows - very fun!! You have certainly inspired me! Thanks!

6. Beautiful work John. Give us some info about how you shot these and the camera settings.

7. They are beautiful John! Thanks for sharing.

I've toyed with getting those flashes and doing more macro work, but I don't think I have the patience at this point. I really admire the work of people who do!

8. David, I will look at my settings when I get home from work, thank you all for the great feedback.

John

9. John....these are wonderful. I've been lusting after the R1C1 for awhile. Well done.

10. David, as already stated both flowers shot using the R1C1 on different days using two SSR200 flash units attached to my 105mm f2.8 lens and SU800 to fire them.

I tend to work using aperture priority for these type of shots but I do experiment as I have honestly only ever shot about 30-40 frames of flower images in my life its not what I thought I would ever do but as I had the system I just thought go out and do it

First Image Rose: Settings were F/11, 1/80, ISO 200 / Matrix metering and from memory – 1 stop on the flash using the SU800

Second Image: Settings were F8, 1/60, ISO 400 again using matrix metering. In all shots I had a large black card that I used to blank out the background, all shot in with flash and natural light – outside.

11. Again the same set up.....

2633985228_d29a73926b.jpg

2714074553_20892cb136.png

12. Racefan….give it a go, I am the most unlikely person to take flower images, I never would have put myself in that category a few months ago as I love all things action and would never have dreamt I would have the patients to capture these images….you will get to like it :smile:

13. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    John, these are beautiful!

14. Thank You Igor....just need to keep at it

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    John, I absolutely love these! The flash system gives so much life to the images! I may have to get me one of these and it is your fault! :wink:

16. Extremely happy that my flower macros have so far generated this positive feedback.

I really believe the D3 gets the very best out of images like this in combination with the 105 and R1C1 as the D3 is an awesome camera (in my humble opinion).

If I have managed to inspire a few of you then mission accomplished as we all enjoy talking pictures but believe me I have such a long and steep learning curve ahead of me but I’m taking it on step at a time

17. I'm not sure if anyone else has asked already... but do you mind me asking how you did this one? Is it two different shots or did you do it all in one?

18. Ping279,

Its only one shot using my R1C1 kit but I did apply some post processing.

19. Crave

Crave Guest

Both are beautifull!!!

20. :et me add another wow. Love them all!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.