D3 Settings for Football

Okay, a lot of us have had the first week of Friday night football. My question is, what AF settings are you using on your D3. Are you using Center AF Point, or Dynamic AF point and if Dynamic, are you going 9, 21 or 51 point and are you using the 3D focus tracking or standard AF. Just curious to see what others are doing. I used Center AF point this weekend and I am thinking about trying the 21 Point dynamic AF next week. Let me know what you are doing and post some examples if you want. Thanks

Robb, would D300 settings be the same ?

If so, I use:

manual, otherwise CW
manual preset WB (though I hear that D3's more accurate - even so, manual better)
21-pt
Standard AF (not 3D)

Hope that helps ? Maybe not.

fmphoto,

working baseball I tried both single point, dynamic 9 and 21 and 3d tracking with all 51 points working.

I loved the 3D tracking in baseball, but to be honest I will probably use the dynamic 9 to 21 when it comes to football. There are just too many people on the field when it comes to football.

But in baseball when your only really tracking 1 guy and the chance of someone coming into the picture is slim, it works great!

51 points 3d tracking
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As far as the D300, obviously it does not have 51 point so I don't think the settings would be the same and it would not matter anyway since you use manual focusing (which is pretty impressive by the way, thats real photography stuff!:eek:) I don't think the focusing engine is the same but I have seen your shots and they are quite impressive Kiwi!

As far as the baseball and football comparison, Thats kind of what I thought about as far as too many people on the field. Just by theory I would think that would screw up the 3D focus tracking. I am going to try the 9 point next weekend and see what happens. I have an opportunity to shoot a JV or freshman game Thursday night and another JV on Saturday so that should be plenty of opportunity before next Friday when I am available to shoot again. Thanks for the replies and that

Yes, it does have 51 pt by the way, and, I understand that the AF is effectively the same. Thanks.

I dont ever manually focus - just manual exposure. I'm not that good/mad !!!

D3 and Football - 1.7 vs 2.0 teleconverters w/ 70-200

Has anyone used the 1.7 TC and 2.0 TC with their 70-200 and willing to comment on the IQ differences or share some of their results? I have read that there is a drop-off in IQ with the 2.0 but wondered how significant it might be with the D3 and 70-200 combo particularly in day games. I am currently only going to be shooting at the middle school level, which will be games between roughly 4:30 and and 7:00 p.m. I expect the available light will be ok until later in the season and that there will not be a low light focusing issue as there might be at night games. I am missing the reach of my D300 and taking advantage of less cropping in PP. I much rather prefer the feel of shooting with the D3, especially when using such a long lens without a tripod. I especially prefer the faster fps of the D3. I'm torn with which combo to use. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions!!

Lisa,

This is more an observation based on what I've read here, but I think that you're going to find that the D300 may be more useful....

1. With the D3 to get the pixel concentration of a player on the sensor, it appears that the 400mm lens is becoming the new 300mm, without sacrificing image quality.

2. If you check the birding forum, and this one, there appears to be general consensus that the 1.7 and 2.0 TC's will reduce image quality enough that you will notice it very quickly. The 1.4 does affect it, especially if you have to crop. The 1.4 can be used, but it is not the best solution.

3. The TC 2.0 reduces your maximum aperture to 5.6, which is the official 'limit' for AF. You might be able to focus beyond that (consistency or lack thereof is the issue), but if the sun goes behind a cloud, you could miss the shot.

I don't normally recommend this, but you might need to spend some time in the Lens Lust forum. I think you're heading towards a longer lens.

Football settings help (D3 and D300)

Lisa,

This is more an observation based on what I've read here, but I think that you're going to find that the D300 may be more useful....

1. With the D3 to get the pixel concentration of a player on the sensor, it appears that the 400mm lens is becoming the new 300mm, without sacrificing image quality.

2. If you check the birding forum, and this one, there appears to be general consensus that the 1.7 and 2.0 TC's will reduce image quality enough that you will notice it very quickly. The 1.4 does affect it, especially if you have to crop. The 1.4 can be used, but it is not the best solution.

3. The TC 2.0 reduces your maximum aperture to 5.6, which is the official 'limit' for AF. You might be able to focus beyond that (consistency or lack thereof is the issue), but if the sun goes behind a cloud, you could miss the shot.

I don't normally recommend this, but you might need to spend some time in the Lens Lust forum. I think you're heading towards a longer lens.
Markb:

Thanks for your commments - all well taken. I have a lot to learn and am thankful for the help in these forums. I appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise.

Care to share your thoughts about these. Bear in mind these were really only shot with the purpose of tinkering with the equipment and settings and trying to learn. I do not want to suggest that they are the best capture of the action or particular angle shot at.

Only the first one has any PP at all (just a -.5 EC and some added saturation). They have not been cropped - only converted from NEF to JPEG. I was shooting the D3 (14 bits) in the DX (2784 X1848) crop mode with the 70-200 and 1.7 TCE II. The initial NEF size for each was just aournd 10.6 MB After I converted them to JPEG, they ended up around 2.5 to 2.7 MB.

What would the realistic good quality print size be for these (or a comparable shot of better subject matter) as compared to if I had shot them with the D300 (taking advantage of the 12 megapixel vs the 5 megapixel)?

I will likely grab the D300 with the 70-200 and either the 1.4 TCE II or the 1.7 TCE II this afternoon. Which TCE would you suggest I use if I have sideline access? I realize the benefit of the 1.4 for IQ and only 1 loss of f stop. Is going up to the 1.7 as far as reach goes of a significant benefit (vs potential loss of IQ and 1.5 f stop loss for DOF - not really concerned about ISO)?

I am going to be helping another photographer to cover the opposite side of the field. I hope to get some keepers for him to post on his Shutterfly site (for purchase). Any suggestions on field positioning for me (aside from the obvious stay out of the way of the players, coaches, officials, etc.) from a perspective standpoint?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom