D3 shutter replacement required, Nikon Service

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Robert, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    My sensor became fouled with multiple spots of something other than dust and this resulted without any mishandling by me. I'm very careful when I change lenses to limit all surfaces to air/dust exposure and frequently use a blower. I had Nikon Service in Missassauga Canada clean it and the fee was substantial!
    When I picked the body up from service, I was told that a more robust shutter is available and that while I'm still under warranty I should have the work completed. I was told that there isn't anything wrong with my shutter, but that a "stronger spring assembly is available" which was not installed on my D3 because it is probably an earlier unit.
    I have followed several threads here and elsewhere about splattered oil or silicon lubricant on D3 sensors and I'm wondering if this issue is connected to a shutter design or flaw, or if this is a problem which is likely to occur again.
    If you have any similar experience I would appreciate your thoughts etc.

(My D3 serial # 202****)

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi,
    I've read about oil drops on sensor but this is the first time I hear about an improved shutter. Did you have yours replaced?

3. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Hi Peter,

I haven't had Nikon service do the work yet because I have a shoot coming up and need the camera. I was assured there wasn't a problem with the shutter I have and so chose to wait. I'll get the camera serviced later this month.

4. i noticed 1 spotch of dust in the upper right hand corner when shooting last night
    i'll try the giotto first.... hope it works

5. I've got major dust, but haven't taken time to try to clean it. I believe I also have a 202xxxx number, but will haave to double-check.

6. Hi Robert, sorry I can't offer any advice, but just noticed that your post from DPReview got put on Nikon Watch here. http://www.nikonwatch.com/ 2nd one down :)

7. Well, after today's "shot of the day," I'm quite convinced that the mess on my sensor is not dust, but rather, droplets. It's just way too 'all over the place.' So my beloved D3 is going to Melville. Its an earlier model (serial number is 2021***), will let you know if it returns with a newer shutter mechanism or not. :smile:

Boy am I going to miss my camera!!!!!!!!

8. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

thats not saying much for nikons engineering.a more robust shutter?come on that d3 shutter is or was the best darn shutter nikon offers.300,000 garenteed shots or more?is nikon charging you for this upgrade?

9. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada

Thanks Phil for letting me know!!

10. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada

I think it says a lot for Nikon engineering. They have come up with an improved product and are installing it under warranty and without charge into cameras that require the upgrade so as to optimize performance and reliability. I'm pleased to know that Nikon is ever improving the quality of their cameras.

11. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Gretchen,

I'm sure Nikon will do a great job with the cleaning. Mine came back absolutely spotless. I will be looking into doing my own sensor cleaning however because the service fee for sensor cleaning was expensive. It is benificial though to have Nikon check the camera over which just might turn up a potential issue before it arises on an important shoot.