1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 V2 firmware released

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Radiohead, Jul 1, 2008.

1. V2 is now up on the UK site:

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

About this firmware update
    This service provides software for upgrading D3 firmware to v2.00. When performing this firmware upgrade, be sure to upgrade both A and B firmware. Be aware that operation of your D3 is not guaranteed if either A or B firmware is upgraded while the other firmware is not upgraded.

The following improvements have been made in version 2.00
    - Autofocus performance has been improved.
    - Auto white balance performance has been improved.
    - Images captured with Rotate Tall set to On in the playback menu are not automatically rotated for display immediately after capture (image review mode)
    - The following changes and additions have been made to custom function f4: Assign Func. Button > Func. button + dials, f5: Assign preview button > Preview
    and command dials and f6: Assign AE-L/AF-L button > AE-L/AF-L + Command dials menus:
    The Choose image area option has been separated into 2 options, Choose image area (FX/DX/5:4) and Choose image area (FX/DX)
    A new Shooting menu bank option has been added
    - When Choose image area (FX/DX/5:4) or Choose image area (FX/DX) is selected and the function button (Fn) is pressed, the image area setting is displayed in
    the top control panel, in the shooting display and at the bottom of the viewfinder.
    - A Copyright information item has been added to the setup menu. When Copyright information is enabled the copyright symbol (©) is shown in the shooting
    info display.
    - Recent settings can now be displayed in place of My Menu
    - The Virtual horizon can now be displayed along with the image in live view mode
    - The Vignette control setting can now be confirmed in shooting information.
    - The Vignette control item in the shooting menu now support all types of G and D type lenses, except DX and PC lenses.
    - The Vignette control compensation value has been optimised for shooting with Active D-Lighting in the shooting menu enabled.
    - Electronic analogue exposure displays are now shown in the control panel and shooting info display, while the exposure compensation setting is being
    applied
    - The degree of the High ISO NR setting can now be confirmed in the shooting info display while the High ISO NR setting item, in the shooting menu, is being
    applied.
    - Design of the FX format icon for the choose image area setting has been modified.
    - Ankara, Riyadh, Kuwait and Manamah have been added to the Time zone options for the World time item in the setup menu.
    - When a GPS device is used and no heading information is available ---.--° is now displayed for the Position > Heading option in the GPS section of the
    setup menu.
    - When shooting in Live view mode using Camera Control Pro 2 (v2.2.0 or later) with a PC-E lens, the aperture setting can now be adjusted from the computer
    - An issue that, in rare circumstances, caused the battery indicator to blink, regardless of actual battery charge has been resolved.
    - Errors in the German help displays have been corrected.

------------

The first two I've bolded and are the most interesting....

2. Excellent... Will update later :) 

3. Thank you Guy.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hmmm, is this the fix for DBS?

ricky

5. Looks like a DBS fix, yes. The new D300 v1.03 has the same fix.

6. I have just downloaded it but will wait for a few days before installing. :smile:

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    after giving it some thought, i'm with phil. because of the previous upgrade's problem, i'm not in a rush to try this out :wink:

i am curious to see if the DBS issue i have with the sigma 50-500mm and a TC is fixed...must resist.

ricky

8. I can't find it on the USA site, I'll try later.

9. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Nikon *DOES* listen! I'm so glad to see that the AF and AWB are listed as being improved--what and to what extent they are improved remains to be seen--but nonetheless, Nikon is continuing to 'improve' the D3!

At the time of the v1.1x firmware releases, I went on a mini 'rant' about wanting one very simple and practical firmware option: the ability to add copyright information to each picture as it was shot in-camera so that I wouldn't have to add it later (or via the 'comments' on the image) in post process. Is Nikon reading these forums--because now, listed as one of the improvements, is the ability to add copyright information--in camera! :biggrin:

I'm really glad I stuck it out with Nikon!

It's a good day for sure...

Sean

10. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Hmmm....interesting.
    "AF has been improved"
    I wonder what was wrong with it in the first place. I don't shoot fast action stuff, but I never had a problem acquire AF.
    I'll download it tonight...

11. I'm hoping that they've improved the camera's ability to focus quickly in low light.

12. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Can anyone comment about the D3 firmware "autofocus performance" thing. What do they exactly mean? Faster AF? More accurate AF? Better tracking? All of the above? Or just ironing out some (obscure?) bugs in the AF algorithm that happen only on Friday the 13th under full moon with ISO 10,000 using 51 point 3D mode when the target is a bearded witch dressed in purple cloak?

13. ROFL! :biggrin:

I'm also curious to know why this hasn't shown up on the US site. Is it possible that there may be something different about the European cams?

14. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    It will be interesting to see what "AF improvement" is implemented. The AF with the original firmware is already reportedly better than the D300. How is unclear - more/better processing is the working theory. If the D3 becomes yet again better with a firmware tweek, that could be significant for those of us without the D3 who want the best AF they can get. This AF difference, which is yet to be determined, may especially become a big deal if the D300/D700 is judged to have noticibly weaker AF post firmware upgrade.

15. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Sounds like your request has been heard!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=28470133

Also, for others wondering how the AF can be improved on the D3, here are my comments (also forgot to add focus acquisition in strong backlighting):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=28469132

VERY encouraging so far! I can't wait for the NikonUSA page to host the upgraded firmware! :biggrin:

Sean

16. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks George but we were already discussing about that page indeed. It only says "AF performance improved" without elaboration.

17. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

I'll wait a few weeks before updating...just incase we have another Firmware fiasco

18. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Sounds great - I like that copyright update and the upgraded focusing in low light; I too will wait a little before updating. Thanks for the info :) 

19. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    My reply should have quoted Wes who wondered why the update was not available on Nikon USA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.