1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D3 with AH-4 / which plate RRS BD3 or Markins P3U need advice

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by sebastian73, Jul 10, 2008.

1. sebastian73

sebastian73

Apr 24, 2007
    Switzerland
    Hi all, I need an advice...

I want to buy a hand grip for my D3.
    I've read some threads about the Nikon AH-4 handgrip.

I own a Markins M20 ballhead on my tripod. For that I want change the original Nikon plate of the AH-4 with the RRS BD3 or the Markins P3U. I think that both of them have a strap boss. I'm not sure if the Markins had also a strap boss? - Did somebody know that? The Markins is lighter in the weight, only 1.4 oz. (40 grams).

RRS; 2.5 oz/72g

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BD3&eq=&Tp=

Markins; 1.4 oz/40g

https://www.photoproshop.com/usa/product_info.php/products_id/723

I think with the combination AH-4 and an Arca Swiss compatible plate (RRS or Markins) and an Optech Pro Loop strap, I can switch fast between hand, neck and tripod.

Sebastian

2. sebastian73

sebastian73

Apr 24, 2007
    Switzerland
    Did someone use the Markins plate on his D3? :smile:

3. mnsato

mnsato Guest

I purchased a Kirk plate #121 for my D3 to use with the Ah-4 strap.
    The Kirk plate is in my opinion very well done, a perfect fit and a perfect
    complement for replacing the base plate that comes with the Ah-4.

4. consider an L bracket while your at it. makes using a tripod far less frustrating.

5. sebastian73

sebastian73

Apr 24, 2007
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the advise :smile:

I have ordered the AH-4 handstrap and also the RRS BD3 plate. That's the normal one, the conventional plate for the Nikon D3.
    I don't need the L-Bracket. I have one for my D2x, but I dont use it much. For my long and heavy lenses I use anyway for each one the lens plate.

I made my decision, in favor of the RRS plate for the following reason. The RRS had a bigger slot to fit the AH-4 strap as the Markins and up to date I was always very happy with all RRS products.

Best regards
    Sebastian :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.