D3

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by rgordin, Aug 3, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    There is a nearly new D3 listed on a Craigslist in my area at what I think is an excellent (not ridiculously low, though) price. Seems legitimate - I don't know the person. Don't know if I can reference it on the Cafe so please advise me if I can and if not pm me.

I own a D40 and have a daughter in a private university so this is just dreaming for me :smile:

2. I always ask to see pictures of the camera and if they have a purchase receipt in case I need to send it in for repair in the future. This usually scares the scammers. Legit sellers will be more than willing to accomodate, because they want to sell their gear. Good luck.

3. Just took a look at the advert. I'd be leery of it because the seller mentions "trading up" to two D700's and payment is cash, money order or wire transfer. The price seems a bit too low to me, too, especially given the low number of clicks on the shutter. I think I'd pass this one up.....

4. ask for a picture that clearly shows the serial number.... Scammers are not likely to have one and if they send an image you can google the D3 image to see if the serial number occurs in other images on the web...

5. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    I havent seen this ad but why not ask for a local phone # and call up. You can get a gut feeling by the voice and at the final point of transaction when you're meeting the person face to face. I've sold stuff on CL and cash is standard so that by itself isnt alarming.
    If they want a remote transaction(fedex, money order, etc) avoid like the plague.
    I would also not go to any residence with a big wad of cash. Pick a starbucks to meet.

6. Good advice indeed. Also...scammers like to make dual listings on CL with slightly different regions (i.e. In the SF Bay area they would identify themselves as from San Jose...with the next listing being from Cupertino, etc.). On high end gear...caution is BEST. The best buys on CL are older MF lenses that families literally dump for pocket change in some instances. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.