D300 51 pt 3D Tracking Test

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gnagel, Aug 14, 2008.

1. While I was visiting the Chicago Bears' Training camp earlier this week, I decided to try the D300's 51 point 3D tracking autofocus mode for the first time.

To test the capabilities of this system, I pointed my camera at the sky and hoped to capture a booming punt off the foot of Bear's punter Brad Maynard. Here was the result:

p28552331-5.jpg

Clearly, the football is a bit soft--but I suspect part of that might be due to the cropping. Overall, I was impressed with what the D300 was able to accomplish in this test.

Glenn

2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Football is probably an easy target comparing to birds or bugs in flight.

For larger birds I think my D300 can usually lock in about 3 frames. That's not too bad for me!

3. I was playing with this while shooting BIF's - I still need to work on my technique

4. me too. I finally got one night heron quite well. But that was kinda like a football against blue sky. Nothing else for the thing to pick from to lock on

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

not very impresive imho.the ball is way soft.crop or no crop.were you on a tripod ? probably not.fast enough shutter speed for hand holding....probably not.
    finally whats will the j peg looking saw pattern on the curved underside of the football?last but still important the lens used and the aperture.51 points or 1 point focus is usless without proper technique.

6. ryan davis

ryan davis

Aug 23, 2007
    virginia
    I don't think it works that way, it just can't pick something out.

I think it works when you have aquired something and the system then has the ability to attempt to stay with a similar colored object. Just trying to find the football in the sky no.

Now if you had focused on the football and another ball come into view, the system may jump to the other ball.
    If we are going to test, it may be helpful to use the system , the way it was designed. Sometimes just posting your findings, then causes a feeding frenzy of false information.
    Please don't jump down my throat, I am just making a valid comment.