D300 Adjustments

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rlacy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I am considering the purchase of a D300 and have done quite a bit of research on this camera. I currently have a D2X and have used it and enjoyed it since 2005. My question is this: I understand that the D300 has a feature that allows you to adjust for back focus/front focus with each lens that a person owns. Do I understand that correctly?

If I understand this then it means I could put on the 24-70 and if I discovered it is back focusing, I could adjust the D300 to eliminate that. Then if I put on the 70-300 and discovered it is front focusing, then i could make adjustments to the D300 to eliminate that.

Hope this question makes sense. I am just a little unsure that I understand exactly what adjustments the D300 allows in these situations.

Thanks for any help.
    Ron

2. Ron,

Your understandings are correct.

3. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Yes, called AF Fine Tune. Adjustment values for up to 12 lenses can be stored in camera.

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    What they said... plus... The body will auto-detects the lens when it is attached to the extent that it will know a 70-300 from a 70-200, but will need keep track of each lens if you happen to have two 70-300's or the like...

5. Ron,

FYI, what you asked is rather thoroughly explained in Thom Hogan's e-book. For the small price of his e-book, you will receive giant information on the D300.

Tom

6. Except - that for some reason when I put my Sigma 80-400 on the camera, the D300 says... 'Ah, the 70-200 VR....' I have yet to figure that one out.....

7. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks for all of the replies and the information. I really appreciate the help.

I am still deciding on my next camera choice. I have really enjoyed the D2X. It has been a wonderful (and still is) camera. However, the D300 seems to have clear cut advantages vs the D2X--cleaner images at high ISO, Live View, etc. It was the part about fine tuning the lens adjustment that I was unsure about.

Any other pretty cool advantages of the D300 vs. the D2X you guys want to comment on?

Thanks again.

Ron

8. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Given some of the lenses that you own, have you considered the D700? That would get you the ability to shoot at higher ISO values with less noise, plus wider angle with your 14-24 f2.8.
    Tony

9. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Yes, I am thinking about the D700

Tony--
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am considering the D700--whenever it arrives. The FX would be really great with the 14-24 and the 24-70. Guess I could always keep the D2x for the crop factor if I really wanted to use longer lens'. Guess I will just wait until the D700 arrives and folks get a chance to use it and post their impressions. I am always a little leery of some of these new releases until some one actually uses them.

I also read a post on the Lens Lust forum yesterday about Thom Hogan's comments that there will be more announcements from Nikon prior to Photokina. I may wait to see what those announcements are.

Regardless of any of this, I still enjoy the D2X and think it is a very fine camera that has served me well. Maybe I will just continue to be happy with it until someone convinces me that there is a real advantage to another camera.

Thanks again.
    Ron