D300 AF area mode as shown in the control panel

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gugarci, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I have a quick question concerning AF area mode as shown in the control panel. When using single point, I know in my D80 you'd see the focus point move around in the control panel as you moved the focus point. You would see move in the view finder and in the control panel in both places.

On my D300 the control panel just shows how many focus point I have active. If I'm using single point and I have it all the way to left on the control panel it only shows one point in the middle always. The view finder and the info show where the actual single point is located, where I left it. Did I turn something off. I thought the AF point on the control panel also moved around as you are moving the single point around.
    Thanks.

2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You didn't turn anything off.. The neither LCD displays will show where the active AF point is, just the current number of points.

Like many folks, I have the Multi Function Control Pad set to return the active AF point to the center and am in the habit of pressing the pad each time I prepare to shoot.

Works fine for me, especially since there are no other options.

3. Thanks Michael I guess since If still have the D80 I got confused. But I wasn't aware that you could set the Multi Function Control Pad to return the active AF point to the center. I guess that's a CF setting I must of missed. I'm going through the manual again that's very useful.
    Thanks again.

Thanks again found it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Custom Setting F1 / Shooting Mode / Select Center Focus Point

While you're in there, another nice setting is switch CS F4, Function Button / Dials / Dynamic AF Area. You can then change the number of points in the Dynamic AF mode without going into the menus.

5. Thanks again. I'm sure I read whenI went through the manual initially but forgot about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.