D300 AF fine tune

I read the manual but it doesn't really get to this particular point. I just calibrated 3 lenses, 70-200/2.8VR, 85/1.8 and 35/1.8. Had had focus issues with the first 2. Went through the menu and took several shots at different fine tune adjustments etc. Pics look better. The part that puzzles me is the "default" setting versus the "saved" setting. For the 70-200 the default says +3 while the saved value is -3. When I open List Saved Values all 3 lenses appear, followed by _ _. For the 85 the default is +3 while the saved value is -5. So if I have this right, this D300 with these specific lenses will AF at the saved value. If I borrow someone else's lenses of the same type this D300 will automatically AF the default? Not that I borrow lenses, but do I need to set the default to 0? Thanks.

W

Wileec

I did all my AF Fine Tune tweaking with default set to 0.

I'm guessing that any borrowed lens that is the same model would apply the same tweaks to it - which could be a problem since AF Fine Tune is really just a "fine tune" to address specific combo sample variety.

I've not used it for zooms, since typically what is needed at either end, or the middle, may be different or the opposite of what's needed at the other.

So Sailor - you have the same default for every lens? My default seems to be 0. Maybe that's just an overall default setting for all lenses, so if you stick on a lens that isn't registered, it just uses that +3.

Now whether or not that +3 is added onto your subsequent calibration, making you 70-200 back to 0 (+3-3) or whether that default is ignored if a setting is made for a particular lens I don't know.

This is all guesswork.

The Default value is the one that the camera will use for:
a) all AF lenses attached to the camera,
b) that are not already saved in your camera's AF fine tune values,
c) when AF fine tune is ON.

If you have a default of +3 and set an AF tune value of -3 for your 70-200, the camera will use -3, no matter what the default is set to. It will use -3 for any 70-200 lens that is the same model as yours. I cannot say for certain that it can tell the difference between a 70-200VR1 versus 70-200VR2, but I'm pretty sure that it can, due to different AF CPUs in the lenses.

Borrow an 80-200 AF-D which has not been saved in your camera before, and it will use the +3 default if AF fine tune is on. I have read some reports of an AF lens which performed as expected when AF fine tune was OFF, being a bit off target when AF fine tune was on, even though the default set to 0. I have experienced this issue with my D3, but not D300.

When I open List Saved Values all 3 lenses appear, followed by _ _.

I'm pretty sure the camera can read the lens serial number and knows the
difference between two lenses of the same model...

Can't speak for the D300 but with the D7000 that _ _ is where you number
your lenses... On the D7000 you can number them from 00 to 99 and can save
the values for up to 12 lenses... Assuming the camera can read serial numbers,
if you were to then mount another lens of the same model you could then set
up a new value for that second lens and use a different number so you would
know which value works with which lens... Handy especially, I would imagine,
where many photog's work for the same firm and may grab bodies and lenses
from a "Pool" of inventory...

I don't really need it having only two lenses of different makes/models but I've
numbered my Sigma as No 1 (01) and my Nikon as No 2 (02)...

If I had multiple lenses of the same make/model I could theoretically use two
digit numbers to indicate class, ie; If I had three 70-200 f2.8 I could designate
that class as 1x and number the lenses 11, 12 and 13 accordingly applying the
appropriate numbered label to each lens for identification...

At least that's my take on this right or wrong...

I have my default set to "0" and only have values set for the lenses themselves...

Don't know if any of this is helpful or if my assumptions correct...? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered why I should bother to number the lens! Good thinking.

So the default, say +3, and the individual lens, say -4, don't add when that lens is attached to make -1. Good to know.

W

Wileec

Having 12 spots for settings is on the skinny side. I'm hoping they up that count in the next generation. For example, with a lens like the 400mm f/2.8, I could have four settings tied up: 400 bare, 400 + 1.4x TC, 400 + 1.7x TC, 400 + 2.0x TC. So, if I have other large lenses, and a few shorter primes, I could easily run out of needed spaces. Long term, I hope to have 200 and 600 mm primes - and I already have 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 105mm. Not enough room to save all the possible combos when you factor in the use of TCs. I'd suggest with most TC combos, AF FT is what makes them really usable.

Having 12 spots for settings is on the skinny side. I'm hoping they up that count in the next generation. For example, with a lens like the 400mm f/2.8, I could have four settings tied up: 400 bare, 400 + 1.4x TC, 400 + 1.7x TC, 400 + 2.0x TC. So, if I have other large lenses, and a few shorter primes, I could easily run out of needed spaces. Long term, I hope to have 200 and 600 mm primes - and I already have 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 105mm. Not enough room to save all the possible combos when you factor in the use of TCs. I'd suggest with most TC combos, AF FT is what makes them really usable.

I'd agree...

I don't ever think I'll have many lenses but it did seem odd to me that they
only had 12... There must be plenty of professionals and enthusiests that
will hit that limit and far beyond...

To tell you the truth I cannot seem to understand that Fine Tune Menu in my D7000!!!
Which value should I change and test the lens?
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I found it more approproate to post here since it's the same feature.
If anyone can provide me with a step by step tutorial on how to go through this, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you kindly.

If a lens focuses in front of what it should be focusing on it Front focuses. Dial in a + amount until it doesn't do that any more. Back focus? Dial in - value.

So it fine tunes the focus of the camera/lens combo. Each combo may be different, and the same lens on a different camera may also require a different value.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom