1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 and 50mm f/1.4 D AF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mike367, Aug 15, 2009.

1. mike367

mike367

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    I have been buying alot of gear as of late and today added a 50mm 1.4D. My body at the moment is a D300 and my uses for this lens will be indoor and outdoor portrait and general photog. I know that some reviews are not so hot but wanna give it an honest try. Any tips about this combo as far as settings and technique would be appreciated. Mike

2. Don't read reviews. Take pics instead.

Bruce

3. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Determine the sweet spot for that sample, then work within it. When you bump into the less appealing edges - stay away from them. Every lens has it's strengths and weaknesses, so find the weaknesses and work within the strengths.

4. Use f/1.4 - f/1.8 only when you have to. You'll get acceptable results at f/2-f/2.2. You won't get truly sharp results until f/2.8. Color and contrast are good, and focus on the D300 is quite fast.

Bokeh on this lense is adequate but nothing to write home about.

5. mike367

mike367

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Thanks, by the sounds of it its worth having in the bag. Mike

6. I recently got the 50 f/1.4D and I am very happy with it! Probably one day will upgrade to the AF-S version due to the better performance wide-open, but for now it really suits my needs!:) )

Mr. Harry Lavo is right 1.4 and 1.8 are only for when you really need it.

Congrats and regards,
    Nikolay

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.