D300 and D300s Tips and Tricks - Official thread

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Rich Gibson, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Randy Roy suggested this thread as a repository of tips and tricks for the D3/D300. So...here it is. We'll let it float for a while then make it a sticky once it fills with tips.

Thanks Randy! The Management

2. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Tip 1 - Buy one!

3. One I posted earlier:

I like the way you can program the FUNC button for use with the command dials. So, I set up up a Custom Setting bank for 'Action' shooting, and in that mode, I have the FUNC button./command dial set up to cycle me through the selection of focus point modes (9, 21, 51, 51 Auto Tracking). Nice to not have to dive into the menu system or into My Menu to change these real quickly when shooting.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Good Natural Warmth for birding/wildlife settings:

aRGB colorspace (should convert to sRGB for web use or for some print labs, but the colors are best in aRGB)
    Standard Mode,
    Sharpening to taste for LCD or output (I shoot raw, so I set between 4 and 5 in case I want to print from the files without processing)
    Saturation +1
    everything else neutral or centered.

A good starting AF/metering settings for Birding/Wildlife:

AF mode selector to continuous
    AF area mode Select Dynamic Auto focus mode, 21pt
    A4 lockon short
    Center weighted metering for birds on sunny days (as a starting point)
    WB auto
    ISO 200, or 800 only (no I am not kidding)
    Noise Reduction Normal
    Release knob to constant high frames per second

Cheers,

Wade

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    edit: got one ordered through B&H, sorry for taking the thread off-topic. I promise to post a tip here once I receive mine. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2007
  6. AFC 51pt 3D great for focus+recompose crowd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being one of those focus and recompose guys, I must say that the D300 AF system is fantastic. I've set-up with AF-C, custom setting A4 off and 51PT 3D AF. With that, I can acquire focus with the center AF point and then hold the focus while I recompose. The AF system adjusts the AF point and keeps it on the subject. Plus if the subject moves a bit, the AF adjusts.

More details here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=138682

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Wade great minds think alike. That is exactly my setup. But, this weekend, for BIF, I am going to try A4 lockon- fast.

Then, in NX, I go to the DX2modeIII, contrast -1, sharpening to liking or off.
    I use Jason O'dell's LCH curve preset for a bit of velvia look and contrast. That can be found here http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html . He will be updating it for 1.3 in the next few weeks, but it is a great guide for NX. I make a new step and use the high pass sharpening feature, but mostly do that selectly. I find it very good.

Cheers all and happy shooting
    Nancy

8. Just doing this to tag the thread!

9. B&H just went back in stock, I ordered mind at 5:10PM EST today...

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Local dealer got stuck with a bunch of D300's when those on the list were not ready to buy. PM me for contact information if you want one.

11. sunchung

sunchung

Jun 12, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Yep - Just ordered mine as well. :)

12. Bookmarked.

13. You know, based on the way that the system allows you to save your settings to a memory card, we can share all shooting and custom settings within a small file. You can also save your custom Picture Control settings. I'm waiting for someone to start posting a TON of these to share as they can be changed quicker than a pair of socks. I've posted mine HERE to see if this sharing process works. You should be able to copy the directory and the single file into the root of a CF card and it would load my camera settings and picture control settings onto your camera.

For those that have played with saving your settings, see if this works. It should be very nice in sharing picture control, as there's enough room for about 10 of those!

NOTE, be sure to save your settings first, as most will NOT like my settings. I don't set a lot of saturation or contrast to start (I'll do that in post if needed). These are close to my D200 settings and have not yet been "tweaked" to match the way pictures come out on the 300.

BTW, has anyone notices that your lenses act a bit different? Not wrong in any way, but just a bit different. Just wondering.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The "My Menu" settings

In the my menu settings, so far I have:
    #1: ISO Sensitivity Control
    #2: NEF (RAW) Recording
    #3: Active D-Lighting
    #4: Image Quality

15. Amazing. That's the set I have thus far as well.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Jeff,

That's more than amazing, that's down right spooky! :eek:

17. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    very cool idea !

18. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm curious what #1 and #2 are doing in your quick menu, aren't there dedicated hard buttons for ISO and Qual?

Speaking of buttons, anybody else disappointed to that there's no dedicated button for bracketing? Can this function be remapped to a button accessible with your left hand?

19. #1 to turn auto ISO on and off
    #2 to switch from 12 to 14 bits

20. Jeff, why change from 12 to 14 bits mid-stream. Is there a benefit of 12 in some situations and 14 in others? It would make sense to have that in the quick menu if that's true.... Just wondering.