D300 and Drag Racing

Trying out the D300 for the first weekend. I think it's a keeper.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks. Couple more.

With D3 and 400 f/2.8

D300/70-200 VR

D300/70-200 VR

D3/24-70 f/2.8

Walt, yes. An AHDRA (All Harley Drag Racing Assoc.) event. They do sound great. Especially standing maybe 8 feet away from the Top Fuel nitro bikes lol. WHAT?!?!

Cecil - the downhill track...lol

Nice pix - got a question - what makes the 300 worth it for action shots?
Not sure what you mean "worth it" Dave. For me, it has great AF, quickly acquiring and tracking focus, and decent frame rate with the EN-EL4a battery in the MB-D10 grip. It's also got a decent LCD. It will also augment my D3 nicely in failing sunlight and under notriously poor dragstrip track lighting, where I had to retire the D2X after ISO 400/500 because the prints at higher ISO looked horrible.

The D3 is still my "main" body for working with the 400mm and 200mm main aspect shots, but the D300 seems to be a great backup with either the 70-200 or 24-70 mounted. it may also give good perspective with the 200 f/2, giving the equivalent angle-of-view as a 300 f/2 on the D3, but I haven't tried that yet. Using the 400 f/2.8 on the D300 with its DX "crop" would be too much for me, as it's nearly impossible for me to frame 600mm on a quick-moving dragster with any kind of success rate and not just hope for "getting lucky" lol.

Walt, yes. An AHDRA (All Harley Drag Racing Assoc.) event. They do sound great. Especially standing maybe 8 feet away from the Top Fuel nitro bikes lol. WHAT?!?!

Mike I am waiting till they come too Rockingham to take some pics, yours are making me impatient:biggrin:. Thanks for posting.

walt

ahhh just what I came to look for, drag racing photos. Nice shots. I'm not at home on my computer to post any photos but I'm looking for some pointers on shooting drag racing. I'll contact you later if you don't mind looking at a few of mine for your thoughts. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom