D300 and Focus.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Otter, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I just shot a bunch of XC this morning and soccer this afternoon for the first time with my D300 and 300 f4.

I'm very surprised by the number of OOF shots. I don't get nearly as many with my D200.

I was using AF-C, A mode, SS were 1/5000 (give or take), monopod, and AF-C priority selection set to Release.

I just changed 'Release' to 'Release+Focus'. I seem to remember Randy saying he has better luck with that.

Anybody have any focus issues or tricks?

Thanks.

2. Tim White

Tim White Guest

In my experience the D300 and AF-S 300 f/4 are a pretty quick pair, even with a TC14 sitting between them. My 70-200 f/2.8, for example, doesn't track as well.

Are you using the full auto 51-point system (white rectangle)? It's slow. Very slow. I use single-point or 9-point dynamic.

I usually use focus-priority release too. Works well.

3. Yes, reaction of the lens seems to be very fast, just doesn't seem to have proper focus. Guess I need to read about this more and/or test it.

In fact, using CaptureNX with the "show Focus Point" turned on I can see for example the focus spot isn't the spot that really appears in focus in a lot of the images.

I only ever use single point.

Thanks.

4. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Joe,
    "AF on" button. Works for me like a charm and others have suggested it as well.

5. Tim White

Tim White Guest

Makes no difference at all. It's just alternate way of activating the same AF system.

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Show us some of the shots.

7. When I shoot sports I use the following as recommended to me by a pro football photographer.

AF-C (obviously)
    Release and Focus
    Dynamic Focus Mode (the middle switch on the body)
    9 Point AF (uses 9 points around your focus point to track your object)

8. Thanks guys. After looking at some pics more closely, I believe the problem is me and not the D300...:redface:

I jumped to conclusions too quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.