1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 and round eyecups

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Messiah Khan, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan Guest

I've read a few threads about this, but I'm still a bit confused. Recently the stock eyecup (well, bit of rubber) on my D300 broke. Having wanted a round eyecup for a while, this a perfectly good excuse to get one.

So what is the best way to get a round eyecup on a D300? Am I right in thinking that doing it with Nikon parts, I will need;

DK-3
    DK-22 adapter
    FM2 eyepiece

I can find the DK-3 and DK-22 here in the UK, but not the FM2 eyepiece. Any ideas for UK sources? Does the FM2 eyepiece include glass, or does it just sandwich the DK-3 and DK-22 together? Does this setup vignette or cause any problems?

Are there any cheaper or easier alternatives out there? I know there is the hoodman option, but I ideally want a fully round eyecup, not an elongated one.

Is there a way to get a round, magnified eyepiece on the D300? Is magnification worth it? Does this cause any vignetting, or do you just see the viewfinder on a larger piece of glass?

2. I just superglued the DK-3 to the DK-22...

3. Not sure if it's the same fit as the D300, but I have fitted a DK-6 to my D200. Had to do a bit of work on the fitting with a Dremel but it fits well and is cheap and is easily purchased (got mine from Warehouse Express).

I was looking at the combined setup (made up of three components, like you I couldn't find one in the UK) but I read some reviews (here on the cafe I think) that said that you end up with an eyepiece that sticks out a long way from the back of the camera.

Andy

4. I keep losing the round rubber eyecup so I gave up. It's the stock one for me.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
  6. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    Don't bother ordering the DK-3 kit. Well, look around and ask if it is in stock because it was not in stock anywhere that I could find this spring or summer. I ordered it from Bocaphoto and waited for 2 months and nothing so I got a refund.

I ended up ordering a hoodman version which is working well to keep my nose off the viewing screen.

7. Messiah Khan

Messiah Khan Guest

Thanks for the replies. I have stumbled across an intersting option;

Seculine KPS U-13C
    http://secu-line.com/index.html?PNO=123693726977145100

Not much information about it, but the few comments and reviews on it I have found have all been positive. So I have bitten the bullet and ordered one from Taiwan. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.