D300 and SB-900 Incompatabilities

Check out the online PDF's.....some of the nifty features are only available with the D3 and D700 like the ability to read the custom gel WB and user updateable firmware.

Further evidence that the D300 DX line is going to simply fade away into the sunset........?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Flashes/4807-SB-900-AF-Speedlight/PDF/4807_SB-900_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Noooooo...I am not being a negative person...simply reporting reality and making you aware before you jump on the SB-900 if you're a d300 owner in case these features were attracting you to purchase.

Or that the SB800 is still a fully functional speedlight, will remain in the inventory for some time, and the SB900 was engineered specifically for full-frame FX?

A

adrianaitken

Will you retract this when Nikon's next firmware lets you have the nifty features?
Just because it's in the latest released version doesn't mean it's the death-knell for the D300. Would it be useful on my D2hs? Probably. Have I lived without it upto now, yesssss

Hello Adrian

A) Of course I would

B) It ain't gonna happen.

They would never have printed this in the PDF if there was any intention of the D300 being able to utilize these features.

That is really sad, if they are going to leave us D300 owners with an obsolete product in less than a year...

I was happy taking picture with my D300 on Monday, now I'm not.... :frown:

I Wasn't Trying To Make You Sad

Just pointing out that if you were going to purchase an SB-900 to go with your D300, you might want to see what the limitations were prior to doing so.

This is puzzling to me. On one hand, I read somewhere that the SB-900 senses whether or not it's attached to an FX or DX camera. On the other hand, it's not fully compatible with the highest end DX camera Nikon has to offer???

Puzzling indeed...

Please Read CAREFULLY

It's not that it ISN'T FUNCTIONAL...it is that it ISN'T FULLY FUNCTIONAL with the
D300.

K

KG72

Yeah... I'm disappointed about this too. And considering the price its been set at... I'll be sticking with SB-800's for now.

That is really sad, if they are going to leave us D300 owners with an obsolete product in less than a year...

I'm confused.....is your D300 suddenly unable to take pictures that it took on Monday?

I really just can't understand all the whining over changing technology. When people buy technology, they do so understanding that development continues and all things will be supplanted. just because a newer car/radio/computer comes out, is yours suddenly no good????

If you want something to be sad about, read this.

Come on guys, get a grip!!!

I'm confused.....is your D300 suddenly unable to take pictures that it took on Monday?

I really just can't understand all the whining over changing technology. When people buy technology, they do so understanding that development continues and all things will be supplanted. just because a newer car/radio/computer comes out, is yours suddenly no good????

If you want something to be sad about, read this.

Come on guys, get a grip!!!

Gretchen:

That's because you're a girl :wink:
Please don't get me wrong, but it seems that we just got out of the trend suddenly... it happens that the new toy is not so funny anymore. But don't worry, it can still take good pictures.

Regarding that sad link, you're right, there are other things to think about.

Regards,
al

.....some of the nifty features are only available with the D3 and D700 like the ability to read the custom gel WB and user updateable firmware.

Further evidence that the D300 DX line is going to simply fade away into the sunset........?
Oh, but that is just weird. After all the SB-900 is the first flash in the Nikon lineup that automatically works with DX format field of view. Strange decision by Nikon indeed.

I'm a bit disappointed for any D300 owner who might have wanted to use these features of the new flash, but it's to be expected that any camera is obsolescent when it hits the shelves. There's probably two or three generations of replacements in the works. And no one bought a D300 before this week in reliance on the new features of the SB900 that won't be fully functional with a D300.

I've never come close to mastering all the features of the SB800 (or the D300 for that matter) and I'm very happy with the equipment I have.

I just got a new car last week. Should I be complaining that it lost thousands of dollars of value as soon as I drove it off the lot? Or that when the manufacturer of the car announces a new model it won't have a retrofit to give my present car the features of the new one?

--Bob

T

TonyBeach

All cameras eventually fade away, now they fade away faster. The format is a different issue though, and I believe DX format is here forever and will remain a pro format for Nikon for the foreseeable future.

I am not being a negative person...simply reporting reality and making you aware before you jump on the SB-900 if you're a d300 owner in case these features were attracting you to purchase.
Thanks, I noticed that lack of capability yesterday and I was surprised. I heard someone who tried the D700 side by side with the D300 say that the WB on the D700 was more accurate. However, it is my suspicion that the problem is not that the SB900 deliberately cripples the D300; but that the D300 was designed before the SB900 features were fully realized whereas the D3 got under the wire on that development. Clearly the D300 design team rushed the D300 out the door so it could be simultaneously announced alongside the D3. This might explain the greater prevalence of DBS and these missing SB900 features.

If Nikon rushed the D300, it was probably because they didn't want photographers to think that they were abandoning DX format in the pro line (I seem to recall they even stated that when they released the D3 and D300). Add to that the actual pro designation of the D300 and then the D200 as pro cameras by NPS and I believe DX format is not going to fade away.

While I do think the clock is ticking on DX (albeit very slowly), I don't see as a sign of the coming end. Nikon has clearly added a new communication link between the flash and camera. I'll bet the next DX camera has it too.

Sorry, but I just don't understand this kind of comment. My D300 remains a great camera and is fully functional with my SB800 flash, which I am content to keep. So the SB900 has some features that can't be used with the D300 - so what? Instead of complaining about your "obsolete product", go shoot some pictures with it and you'll feel better. :wink: :smile:

T

TonyBeach

I was happy taking picture with my D300 on Monday, now I'm not....

Sorry, but I just don't understand this kind of comment. My D300 remains a great camera and is fully functional with my SB800 flash, which I am content to keep. So the SB900 has some features that can't be used with the D300 - so what? Instead of complaining about your "obsolete product", go shoot some pictures with it and you'll feel better. :wink: :smile:
Irony?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom