D300 and SB-900 Incompatabilities

Sorry, but I just don't understand this kind of comment. My D300 remains a great camera and is fully functional with my SB800 flash, which I am content to keep. So the SB900 has some features that can't be used with the D300 - so what? Instead of complaining about your "obsolete product", go shoot some pictures with it and you'll feel better. :wink: :smile:
Again, please don't get me wrong. The D300 still makes good pictures!!! :tongue:

It's just that feeling that "we're not on the hype anymore" thing....

I have several flashes and I only use the SB400 and the 800 on TTL, all the rest goes on manual, I not into using CLS just yet. It just that feeling that we have entered on maintenance phase... like when you get past 30 and you realize that your body can't take the hit of your early 20's... so you have to be more careful with it and take "controlled risks"... :wink: or exercise more!! :biggrin:

Thanks Jim for the FYI. It is just something to consider before you purchase if this is an improtant feature to you.

G

Gary Mayo

I have not downloaded the PDF, nor will I, I guess.

What is clear is as companies go forward some customers will be supported in newer product lines and some will not. That line needs to be put somewhere.

Do the people that have purchased the D300's over the past year or so have a legitimate gripe that the newer flagship flash will not use some of the newer features of that flash? They may think so.

I own a D300 as well as a D3. I have ZERO plans to add a D700 to my war chest. I will be adding at least one if not more SB-900's to my 8-SB-800's.

I am guessing to make the SB-900 fully functional with a D300 and all the creative lighting system cameras, they would have needed to trim some of the new features of the new flash. That would have been a crying shame. I think we should march forward, not linger in the past.

Given the release dates of the D300 and D3, I do find it surprising that the D300 is not fully supported. I somehow doubt they didn't know the SB-900 was coming when designing the D300. I wonder if there will be a firmware update for at least the WB enhancements; I would think that's mostly a firmware function anyway.

T

TonyBeach

Given the release dates of the D300 and D3, I do find it surprising that the D300 is not fully supported. I somehow doubt they didn't know the SB-900 was coming when designing the D300.
See post #16.

One thing to remember...
Even with the couple of functions that won't (initially) work with bodies other than the 3/700, the thing has a COMPLETELY RE-ENGINEERED user interface! It'll still have all the functionality of the SB800, it'll just (again, initially) lack some of the new nifty features - which the 800 lacks, too...
My budget will have to recover from the 700/14-24, but as soon as it does, I imagine this will magically appear in my bag...

I'm confused.....is your D300 suddenly unable to take pictures that it took on Monday?

I really just can't understand all the whining over changing technology. When people buy technology, they do so understanding that development continues and all things will be supplanted. just because a newer car/radio/computer comes out, is yours suddenly no good????

Come on guys, get a grip!!!
Well said Gretchen--well said!!!

Ditto

Also, I am with you, Gretchen. You make more sense than much of the rest of these comments.

Check out the online PDF's.....some of the nifty features are only available with the D3 and D700 like the ability to read the custom gel WB and user updateable firmware.

Further evidence that the D300 DX line is going to simply fade away into the sunset........?

http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Flashes/4807-SB-900-AF-Speedlight/PDF/4807_SB-900_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Noooooo...I am not being a negative person...simply reporting reality and making you aware before you jump on the SB-900 if you're a d300 owner in case these features were attracting you to purchase.
I don't see the problem. The flash is newer than the camera and the camera was not engineered to program the flash or read gel filter data. Would have been nice but it's not like we've lost capability. Even with the "limitations" the new flash will still be an improvement over the SB800.

K

KG72

I don't see the problem. The flash is newer than the camera and the camera was not engineered to program the flash or read gel filter data.
The flash is also newer than the D3... yet the D3 has full functionality with it. Continuing on that train of thought... the flash should only be fully functional with the D700.

Considering that the D3 and D300 were released pretty much at the same time... one could rightly assume they share much of the same logic in their code. That being said... I can't see why the D300 shouldn't be fully functional with the SB-900 as well.

Even with the "limitations" the new flash will still be an improvement over the SB800.
True. It is an improvement over the SB-800 and it should be.

K

KG72

See post #16.
Entirely possible. And if that is the case... and the D300 was rushed and released without its full set of originally planned features... shouldn't Nikon do something in the way of updating its Firmware so that it is a complete product with every bell and whistle it was intended and supposed to have?

T

TonyBeach

Entirely possible. And if that is the case... and the D300 was rushed and released without its full set of originally planned features... shouldn't Nikon do something in the way of updating its Firmware so that it is a complete product with every bell and whistle it was intended and supposed to have?
Probably the issue is hardware related; otherwise Nikon could probably do it to the D200 and perhaps other cameras as well.

K

KG72

Probably the issue is hardware related; otherwise Nikon could probably do it to the D200 and perhaps other cameras as well.
Again... entirely possible. But considering the D3 and the D300 do share a lot of the same features I'm not so sure that is the case. The hardware inside the two bodies is probably mostly the same with differences here and there.

As for passing the tech along to the D2/D200 bodies... that I'm not so sure would be feasible. I do think the hardware in those is too different for that to happen.

Don't get me wrong. I love my D300 and what it can do and the quality of pictures I get from it. And I plan on enjoying it for quite a while.

Do I expect Nikon to do anything about the SB-900/D300 situation? No, not really. Nor do I expect them to port over any of the goodies that were updated in the D3's latest firmware. Would I like for that to happen? Of course! Would absolutely love it if they did. The D300 is supposed to be their Flagship DX format body after all. If features that were originally supposed to be in the D300 were cut because the product was rushed... it would be nice if Nikon added them and completed the product.

But its not going to make me sour towards Nikon... wave my arms and stomp my feet... or switch to Canon in spite if they don't.

T

TonyBeach

Again... entirely possible. But considering the D3 and the D300 do share a lot of the same features I'm not so sure that is the case. The hardware inside the two bodies is probably mostly the same with differences here and there.
Some of the internals are different, starting with the sensor. I believe if it were possible to update the D300 to be fully functional with the SB900 that Nikon would not close the door on that by announcing incompatibility. After all, they want to sell as many SB900's and D300's as they can and not give 40,000 new people a month a reason (as has been predictably expressed in this and other threads) not to buy their latest and most expensive Speedlight.

The flash is also newer than the D3... yet the D3 has full functionality with it. Continuing on that train of thought... the flash should only be fully functional with the D700.

Considering that the D3 and D300 were released pretty much at the same time... one could rightly assume they share much of the same logic in their code. That being said... I can't see why the D300 shouldn't be fully functional with the SB-900 as well.
The D3 is way more expensive than the D300 too. Every Nikon DSLR has a differing features/capabilities and you've basically got to keep moving up the food chain to gain additional capability/features. More importantly, the SB900 is the first flash to adjust to DX/FX formats and there are only 2 cameras in the Nikon Line where that is necessary and not so coincidently the SB900 fully integrates with both those cameras.

K

KG72

Some of the internals are different, starting with the sensor. I believe if it were possible to update the D300 to be fully functional with the SB900 that Nikon would not close the door on that by announcing incompatibility. After all, they want to sell as many SB900's and D300's as they can and not give 40,000 new people a month a reason (as has been predictably expressed in this and other threads) not to buy their latest and most expensive Speedlight.
Of course the sensor is different. As is the shutter(more durable). Better weather sealing. I'm thinking of the main logic board in the two cameras. As they share a lot of the same features when it comes to their processing... It can't be that much different.

I also don't think these incompatibilities will stop a lot of people who own a D300 from buying the Sb-900. Especially those who are really into light or need to have the best/newest gear to go along with their chosen body. The price point is going to be a bigger factor than the two features that don't work with the D300.

I will most likely pick one up sometime in the future as it is quite an upgrade over the SB-800. I just plan to wait a while before I do and grab more SB-800's as people offload them at cheaper prices :wink:

The D3 is way more expensive than the D300 too. Every Nikon DSLR has a differing features/capabilities and you've basically got to keep moving up the food chain to gain additional capability/features. More importantly, the SB900 is the first flash to adjust to DX/FX formats and there are only 2 cameras in the Nikon Line where that is necessary and not so coincidently the SB900 fully integrates with both those cameras.
Of course the D3 is more expensive and should have more features/capabilities than the D300. That is a given. To get the best tech you need to pay the price for it.

I just hope Nikon isn't taking a page out the Canon books and disabling functionality in its less expensive bodies just to keep that technological gap there. If the D300 can be and was intended to be fully functional with the SB-900... but the logic wasn't completed because the product was rushed... it would be nice if Nikon completed the product with Firmware updates.

If its a hardware limitation... I would could accept that more than if it were something software related that was supposed to be included in the final product but wasn't because of time constraints.

I don't see this issue as a big deal. To me, the big improvement with this flash is the interface, no more fumbling around in that darn menu with up and down and sideways keys. A simple switch. Thank you. The lighting patterns are another reason to get the flash, plus it looks more durable, recycles faster without that Frankenstein fifth battery and has a little more output. There is a lot to like here, especially if your livelihood depends on having a good flash on the bracket. It's a flash we can grow into, what's wrong with that?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom