D300 Auto-ISO, why no higher minimum shutter speed?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Is there any reason why Nikon hasn't implemented this feature? Are they ever going to implement it into the D300 firmware? Or is this Nikon's way of separating the D300/D3 bodies? Will the D700 have a higher minimum shutter speed other than 1/250th? Reason I ask, because this feature is really useful on the telephoto range when you want to lock in your aperture, without your shutter speed going below your focal length (ex: 500mm lens, 1/500th shutter).

I know, I can just switch to manual mode, but I'm quite fond of aperture priority, in fact 80% of my shots are done in this mode!

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I agree Jonathan, they at least need to take it up to 1/1000 of a second and perhaps further. They don't have to take it up to the fastest speed of the shutter, but something higher than 1/250 would be nice. It is annoying...

3. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    The D700 spec sheet says Auto ISO to 1/8000 shutter speed.

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Jonathan, I use Auto ISO when shooting long lens for wildlife... Switch to Manual Exp...set your exposure settings and max ISO, let Auto ISO do the rest.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Yeah but that's not the same, a minimum shutter speed in ap would be nice

6. Wasn't this one of the D3 firmware fixes? Hope bleeds eternal that they'll soon add it to a D300 firmware fix...but it may be as you say "Or is this Nikon's way of separating the D300/D3 bodies?"

7. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Agree with Jonathan - the D300 deserves this upgrade.

8. I don't get it, at the very least they could give 1/320th and 1/640th. I cringe to see the D3 getting extensive FW updates, while the D300 gets table scraps! I don't like having to use shutter priority and would rather control DOF in my shots. One can only dream! :wink: