D300 Auto White Balance or custom ?

I was reading an article by Rob Shepherd about the importance of using custom white balance. He talks about using sunny, cloudy , shade etc. I have used auto white balance on my D300 95% of the time and have been happy with the results. I shoot in RAW so its changeable in post processing. I was wondering what other D300 users choose to do?

I have not been happy with Auto WB on my D300, it is too cool. I always use cloudy. I also shoot in Raw which avoids problems, but I seldom adjust WB in post. However, here in the Pacific Northwest it is often cloudy which may count for something.

Ron

I have all of my Customs set. When I post process I like to do as little as possible. Especially since NX is such a dog when it comes down to the tasks. I also shoot RAW+Jpeg so that if a shot needs very little like a quick levels and brigytnes/contrast adjustment I can do it in CS and be done with it.

Always a K setting - usually 5260K (Daylight).

Always attempt to get a better result using WB Grey Point in NX2.

If there is a tone there which SHOULD be mid-grey to almost white (without a cast) it works VERY well.

DG

I know that I can fix it in ACR, since I always shoot in RAW, but I usually set WB in camera so that I have one less thing to do in post-processing.

I generally shoot in Raw these days, but outdoors I'll usually set the camera to cloudy - more pleasing than sunlight or Auto - but I might switch to Auto if I'm rapidly changing from sun to shade or clouds do that for me. Indoors I may use incandescent or fluorescent, and if I'm in an arena or elsewhere with tricky lighting I'll use a custom white balance. Sometimes I screw up and
Raw has saved the day!

AWB unless I'm shooting outside of the 4000K to 6500K where I find the AWB feature goes a bit wonky. I'm getting into the habit of shooting a ColorChecker Swatch on as many shoots as is practical. It's a very fast way to get colours back to 'as seen through the viewfinder' on all my images which includes white balance obviously.

Another point work considering is that it is important not to blindly rely on shooting NEF files and then doing white balance in post. If you blow out a colour channel by mistake it may not be obviously apparent. If you then try to correct colour balance in software, the fact that one of your colour channels is blown in the highlights while the other two are OK can lead to some unwanted effects in the colour of highlights. It's not that common but if it does happen you can kill an otherwise perfectly decent image.

I find the auto white balance usually gets the colors right on my jpegs. The large monitor LCD on the back of the D300 lets me see if what I got is what I want. Sometimes I need to manually adjust white balance, saturation, and turn off or on D-lighting - these all affect the color balance and/or the appearance of the final photo - sometimes one or two will be changed and sometimes all or most of them.

shooting in Raw I use 5560k in daylight (summer and very brigh light in Oz). In winter down to 5260k. These setting result in mimimal adjust later in pp. AWB is just way too cool.

Lately I have been using AWB and shooting and adjusting as necesarry if necessary. A lot of times it is good as shot.

I'm starting to use a ColorChecker Passport to generate a camera profile and custom WB for the shoot when needed. I'm really going to test thing out this weekend as I'm going to an indoor party and shooting in two rooms. One dark with mostly tungsten light and the other with tungsten and daylight. And I'll probably be using fill flash in both. Should be a challenge to get things right.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom