D300 back with 5 RPLs

This is the D300 that went back for the blinking green light, as described previously:

It wasn't a cheap out of warranty repair, but it looks like it got the works:

• RPL (replace) DC/DC Convertor (s/b "Converter")
  • RPL Main PCB
  • RPL Flash PCB
  • Replace Rubber grip
  • RPL Electrical contacts
  • (...various checks)
  • ADJ hot pixels

So other than the rubber grip, and the hot pixels (not many, but just enough to annoy at ISO 1600), which I figured I'd have them map out while I had it there, this thing was an electrical jumbled mess! As I described in my original thread, the problem wasn't terminal (yet, anyway). I could turn the camera off, and the battery wouldn't drain all the way down. But I certainly didn't want to chance through a wedding with this (my 2nd body) camera, and seeing all that got replaced, I'm glad I didn't try.

BTW, what is a PCB (P-something Circuit Board, I'm guessing)? I wonder what the "main" PCB is or does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, I should've known that. Any idea what the "main" PCB does? I'm guessing it's the one that holds the sensor, but I doubt they replaced that, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, it wasn't that old, but I don't know the full age/history since I got it as a refurb with less than 2.5K actuations. At the time of the failure, it had 11K actuations, and I've had it for about 9 months. It's looking like I got a lemon: good deal at the time ($900), but it's cost me almost as much as a new one. Makes me think twice about picking up a used D700, like I've been wanting to do for a while (already have a D700 and want two FX bodies for event photography).

I don't know if I would worry about a used d700. Something like the shutter and mechanical things obviously age but I don't really think that is true as much with electronics like the pc boards. You may well have had one board go bad and it just set up a chain reaction which could happen with a new camera just as easily.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom