1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 back with 5 RPLs

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by e_No, Apr 12, 2011.

1. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    This is the D300 that went back for the blinking green light, as described previously:

It wasn't a cheap out of warranty repair, but it looks like it got the works:

• RPL (replace) DC/DC Convertor (s/b "Converter")
    • RPL Main PCB
    • RPL Flash PCB
    • Replace Rubber grip
    • RPL Electrical contacts
    • (...various checks)
    • ADJ hot pixels

So other than the rubber grip, and the hot pixels (not many, but just enough to annoy at ISO 1600), which I figured I'd have them map out while I had it there, this thing was an electrical jumbled mess! As I described in my original thread, the problem wasn't terminal (yet, anyway). I could turn the camera off, and the battery wouldn't drain all the way down. But I certainly didn't want to chance through a wedding with this (my 2nd body) camera, and seeing all that got replaced, I'm glad I didn't try.

BTW, what is a PCB (P-something Circuit Board, I'm guessing)? I wonder what the "main" PCB is or does.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

PCB=Printed Circuit Board. One of those little cards with components soldered onto it.
    "Printed" because the copper lines on the board are etched using a photographic printing process.

3. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    Ah, I should've known that. Any idea what the "main" PCB does? I'm guessing it's the one that holds the sensor, but I doubt they replaced that, too.

4. How old was this camera, and how many clicks?

5. e_No

e_No

May 16, 2009
    Downey, CA
    Well, it wasn't that old, but I don't know the full age/history since I got it as a refurb with less than 2.5K actuations. At the time of the failure, it had 11K actuations, and I've had it for about 9 months. It's looking like I got a lemon: good deal at the time ($900), but it's cost me almost as much as a new one. Makes me think twice about picking up a used D700, like I've been wanting to do for a while (already have a D700 and want two FX bodies for event photography).

6. I don't know if I would worry about a used d700. Something like the shutter and mechanical things obviously age but I don't really think that is true as much with electronics like the pc boards. You may well have had one board go bad and it just set up a chain reaction which could happen with a new camera just as easily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.