D300 battery help.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Duschoolboy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    I posted this in the tech questions too, but I didnt know where to post it. I just recieved a D300 with grip and 4l battery. To make a long story short, do I HAVE to have the enl3 battery in the camera for the camera to work even though I have a hot battery in the grip? I could not get it to come on last night without the enl3 battery in the camera. I did know if it was a setting in camera for that or not. All I found was the battery choice sellection on which one you use first. Thanks for the help

2. YES, you need an EN-EL3e battery or equal in the camera body.

Tom

3. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Tom, I spoke with Nikon and several other members and you dont. Most in fact run without ever putting the el3 in the body at all.

4. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

I run the EN-EL4's. I haven't even charged the 3, let alone put it in the camera.

5. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I owned two D300's for several months. You are not required to have a battery in the camera when your power source is the MB-D10. One of the ways I troubleshot an oxidized contact problem was by removing the battery from the camera and powering the device using only the MB-D10, so I know for a fact it works this way.

6. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks guys. I tried a new grip that I borrowed from PcolaRoy and it worked correctly. I have a new grip on order tonight.

7. Glad it wasn't the camera Mike

I'll send you a bill for the tech suport :wink:

8. Are you sure that you got the right grip?????????:Devil:

9. Maybe I had better go check my bag...:confused:

10. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006