d300/d300s question with a grip and 8FPS

I have been reading that you get 8FPS with a grip

but it seems you only get this IF you use the el-en4a battery with the grip and a second el-en3e battery does not give the 8FPS

or you use 6/8 good AA battery's

is that right?

Yes. And I think some other people pointed out also that you only get the higher frame rates if you're shooting in release priority mode as opposed to focus priority. So you'll get the fast frame rates, but it's quite likely that some of the photos will be out of focus.

thanks so the d300 grip only take one batter right? the other stays in the camera?

that battery is expensive and so the charger :eek: lol not really thinking its worth 1FPS :tongue:

The grip without the stock batteries is worth 2 fps or 33% more on the D300, but just 1 fps on the D300s.

The AA's work fine for driving to 8fps, and are cheaper than using the EN-EL4 batteries and charger. Also easier to build up a collection of backup batteries.

The grip without the stock batteries is worth 2 fps or 33% more on the D300, but just 1 fps on the D300s.

The AA's work fine for driving to 8fps, and are cheaper than using the EN-EL4 batteries and charger. Also easier to build up a collection of backup batteries.
how long do they last?

i usally use energizer 2450 or 2500 mAh rechargeables

does the grip hold 2 one batterys?

how long do they last?

i usally use energizer 2450 or 2500 mAh rechargeables

YMMV. AA's aren't "smart" like the other batteries. Some have reported that the camera thought the AA's were dead and switched over to the internal battery even though the AA's weren't dead. Others have reported that the AA's last as long as the stock battery.

Here's an example thread of varying opinions:

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00TpnT

The 8 AA's will add weight. But if you get an MB-D10, it might be better to try it first with the AA's before springing for the EN-EL4 option. E.g. find out if the 1 or 2 fps boost is really worth it to you. Particularly if you're going to use focus priority as Steve mentioned.

YMMV. AA's aren't "smart" like the other batteries. Some have reported that the camera thought the AA's were dead and switched over to the internal battery even though the AA's weren't dead. Others have reported that the AA's last as long as the stock battery.

The 8 AA's will add weight. But if you get an MB-D10, it might be better to try it first with the AA's before springing for the EN-EL4 option. E.g. find out if the 1 or 2 fps boost is really worth it to you. Particularly if you're going to use focus priority as Steve mentioned.
very odd

en-el4a = 11.1v
8x AA = 9.6v
en-el3e = 7.4

but there is a vidoe on youtube on how to trick the D300 into 8FPS without the grip......

so it seem the firmware is holding this back on not the voltage lol they just want you to buy more...... sneaky nikon

Yes. And I think some other people pointed out also that you only get the higher frame rates if you're shooting in release priority mode as opposed to focus priority. So you'll get the fast frame rates, but it's quite likely that some of the photos will be out of focus.

I think you are completely mixing two different things here. 8 FPS is always available with the higher voltage, regardless of your Release Priority. Anytime you shoot in Focus priority, with any of the Nikon Cameras, you can affect your FPS, simply because the shutter will not release unless the camera thinks you are in focus. You can get out of focus shots in Focus Priority when your primary focus point ends up off your main subject, such as following a small fast-moving object. The image is still "in-focus" from the camera's point of view, you just put the focus point in the wrong place from YOUR point of view.

very odd

en-el4a = 11.1v
8x AA = 9.6v
en-el3e = 7.4

but there is a vidoe on youtube on how to trick the D300 into 8FPS without the grip......

so it seem the firmware is holding this back on not the voltage lol they just want you to buy more...... sneaky nikon

Andrew, I believe you're right with regards to the firmware being crippled by Nikon.

Here is the You Tube link. Think about what is going on when you bracket. Exposures are adjusted and you get no AF. Doesn't work too well on moving objects.

And I'd sure like you folks to cite your source for Nikon "crippling" the firmware. And not just some anecdotal story, but a link to some reputable source.

That's the first I've heard of that, mine seems to get 8FPS regardless of priority - assuming I have something in focus.

I think you are completely mixing two different things here. 8 FPS is always available with the higher voltage, regardless of your Release Priority. Anytime you shoot in Focus priority, with any of the Nikon Cameras, you can affect your FPS, simply because the shutter will not release unless the camera thinks you are in focus. You can get out of focus shots in Focus Priority when your primary focus point ends up off your main subject, such as following a small fast-moving object. The image is still "in-focus" from the camera's point of view, you just put the focus point in the wrong place from YOUR point of view.

Here is the You Tube link. Think about what is going on when you bracket. Exposures are adjusted and you get no AF. Doesn't work too well on moving objects.

And I'd sure like you folks to cite your source for Nikon "crippling" the firmware. And not just some anecdotal story, but a link to some reputable source.
well if there no AF then that make sense that it wouldn't need the extra power, but for shooting sports that trick look like a PITA anyway lol

I agree. That trick is completely worthless to me too and I've tried it before. Sounds impressive, but that's about it. I still maintain that it is a firmware issue and as with a lot of things in life involving money (nearly everything) remain cautiously pessimistic about Nikon's intentions. I can totally understand why from a marketing point of view though.

A few days ago I shot motocross, and had 8fps for only the first 1000 pictures, then I noticed it dropped to 6fps. A few days later I open my camera bag and try to burst 8fps, and it works. That was after 2100 pictures. So yeah, AA's can be dumb. ^^

A few days ago I shot motocross, and had 8fps for only the first 1000 pictures, then I noticed it dropped to 6fps. A few days later I open my camera bag and try to burst 8fps, and it works. That was after 2100 pictures. So yeah, AA's can be dumb. ^^

I have noticed the same thing with my enloops. I can shoot a rally on the first day and get 8fps, then it will start to slow down a bit towards the end of the day. Then I go out for the 2nd day of shooting and it is like I charged them again. I know I have rattled off 2500+ pictures before the battery meter starts to drop at all. At this point, I have yet to just see how many pictures I can get off of a single charge.

So for the AA's rechargables, do the AA NIMH type work ok with the grip? I'd rather not spend $250 on the en-el4 with a charger if I don't have too. Plus I already use the AA NIMH for my flashes.

well if your batteries die down then the next day they are like new its because they hot .

when they cool down voltage bleeds back into them...... cells have time to react and bleed voltage into them

if you took them out of the camera and measure there voltage, then ag in the next morning the voltage is higher :wink::wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom