D300 Daughters softball

Real Name
Tony Saya
Welcome to Nikon Cafe it's a great place, I like the shot of your daughter (I am assuming she is the catcher)

Thank you and yes she's the catcher which makes it hard to get good pictures because of her helmet.

I just shot a couple of games this past weekend and had good success shooting from the first base side just inside the fence that extended into short left field.

Welcome, nice shot...are you able to get down the line (either side) at all? Inside the fence?
I usually take most of my picture from the foul line on first base side but was taking some of our pitcher head on and liked the look of my daughter(catcher) in focus with the pitcher in the background.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Welcome to the cafe. I know that I will see lots more of your shote . You have made a wonderful choice in camera and lens combo and they wont disappoint you. Menny of us here on the cafe still ues the D300 as it is a super camera verry well made and can take a hammering. The best of look for the future.
Koindest regards.
Mike

Welcome to the cafe. I know that I will see lots more of your shote . You have made a wonderful choice in camera and lens combo and they wont disappoint you. Menny of us here on the cafe still ues the D300 as it is a super camera verry well made and can take a hammering. The best of look for the future.
Koindest regards.
Mike
Thanks Mike! The camera is great so far but I have a lot to learn about it since I previously had a D5000 and just used it as a P&S. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting 8fps while using a MB-D10 with AA's. I'm only getting about 3-4 fps when I go back and look at the times.

Thanks Mike! The camera is great so far but I have a lot to learn about it since I previously had a D5000 and just used it as a P&S. The only thing I'm struggling with is getting 8fps while using a MB-D10 with AA's. I'm only getting about 3-4 fps when I go back and look at the times.

Welcome. I shoot my kid's sports with my D300/D700 combo. It keeps me separated from over-eager and overbearing parents. There are a few places to check. Anyone of them can impact FPS.
  1. What kind of AAs are you using? With fully charged Eneloops in my MB-D10, I can get 7 FPS
  2. Check your CH (continuous high setting)
  3. What kind of CF card are you using? I use the SanDisk Extreme with 60MB/s write speed. I discovered anything less was clogging the camera buffer
  4. Are you using auto ISO? For daytime sports, I suggest a fixed setting < 800 ISO for your D300.
The D300 is a great camera but it lacks high ISO capability of the newer DX cameras. But outdoors during the day, the 1.5x crop can help you reach out and touch.

Good luck and keep posting. Once you get to 300 posts and 6 month membership, the MarketPlace forum is made available to you. :)

I had the iso set at 640 and was getting 4fps. Switched it to auto iso and got 8fps. Then I realized it was the lighting in the house that slowed it down. Still went out and bought a 32gb extreme because my wife thinks I needed it. Haha!

One big factor that hasn't been mentioned in regard to frame rate on the D300 is what type of files you are shooting. Jpeg files will fly through the D300 at max speed; however, if you are shooting RAW files, you can't shoot at max speed if those files are 14 bit. If memory serves me right (don't have a D300 any more) you have to drop it down to 12 bit. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I'm shooting JPEG since I don't know how to do anything(edit) them once on the computer.

Thanks for the compliments. I am really lost trying to figure this camera stuff out and the more I read the more confused I get.

My daughters last tournament after I looked at the pictures on the computer I was very disappointed. Most pictures I took from 300mm came out blurry, yet the ones I took through the fence at 70mm were clear. Here are two examples...and I am using a monopod but its mounted to the body since the 70-300 is too light for a tripod collar.
CJS_8593_zps29c6d1a2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

CJS_8774_zps637cd247.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom