D300 Doused by Well Fed Egret From Above...

I know...I know...DON'T stand under the Great Egret nests at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. I used to WORK there and I should know better.
I was under a tree, planning to be there for a quick shot when I got distracted. As I was composing a shot...SPLASH...from above. It looked like someone had poured a coffee cup full of white paint, from 10 feet in the air, directly on the hot shoe, and, not to mention, on ME. I can take a shower, but when the camera was wiped off, any cracks, crevices (especially around the pop up flash) had a dry, white lining. Do I need to take the D300 to someone to have it professionally cleaned? Feel free to laugh before responding.

if you have a fine brush like a baby bottle nipple brush or maybe an old toothbrush, use that to brush the stuff out after it dries. I don't know that using a tad bit of water or other fluid to better clean or not. Hopefully some one will have a better suggestion. And yeah, very funny!

I agree with the tooth brush idea...

I routinely use them for cleaning dirt out of crevasses (never this kind though... :tongue: ) and they work very well... :wink:

Thanks for the warning! I always stay away from seagulls when on the beach. Now I have to be fearful of the egret? :frown: As mentioned, I think the fine brush will do the job.

.. and never sit in a kayak under a tree with an eagle's nest in it. They teach those young'uns to arch it waaaaaay out. A damp toothbrush works wonders. I usually cut down the top bristles a bit for stiffness.

I think most birds get a sick pleasure out of landing targets on us. I remember walking underneath a telephone pole many years ago on my way to a fast food joint. Not one pigeon made a peep, but on the way back, 3 tried to hit me. One actually got it on my shoe, narrowly missing my head. Its like they wait for the right moments and actually take aim...

reminds me of a poem

Birdy birdy in the sky,
dropped a turdy in my eye,
I'm so big I did not cry....

Im so glad that cows don't fly

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom