D300 eyepiece

Just picked up a really nice D300 with less than 7000 shutter actuations on it -- for what I thought was a good price -- -- pretty cool :)

However, it has the "standard" eyepiece on it -- and I am just not real happy with it.

What eyepiece do you folks use on your D300's -- and why?

I am looking to change -- but not sure what to go to - - -

Thanks in advance

I still use the standard, but I have been looking into buying the new Eyecup from Hoodman. Itseems like anice upgrade.

I'm using the standard but I just bought a Hoodman right-angle viewer which comes equipped with what must be the eyecup. It doesn't work well with glasses.

These three pieces represent the 'kit' to convert your D300 to the large round Nikon eyecup. Very comfortable and effective in terms of stray light blockage.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37445-REG/Nikon_2370_DK_22_Eyepiece_Adapter_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37324-REG/Nikon_2362_DK_3_Rubber_Eyecup.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37450-REG/Nikon_2925_Finder_Eyepiece_for_FM_.html

Take extra care and attention when attaching the DK-3 cup to the finder. There is a tiny groove in the cup that helps lock the finder-to-cup union. This prevents loss in the field as often reported in the various fora.

I have the DK-3 eyecup for both my D700 and D3. Definitely better than the standard one that the cameras come with. If you get them installed correctly they are very secure. I've never had any problems and both my bodies get jammed in bags quickly and used a ton.

No vignetting with the DK-3 kit.

Rubber eyecup is very secure if installed properly. Only failure I've ever had was a broken side leg on the DK-22 part. That assembly had been used on numerous bodies over the last few years and the plastic finally failed.

The DK-3 does intrude upon the upper area of the LCD but not enough to be an issue for me. Some do not care for this aspect of the eyecup.

Google a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant, it's a wonderful treatment for rubber and other synthetics. I always give my new eyecups a liberal treatment of 303 before putting them into use. It extended the life of the rubber dramatically.

If one wants an improvement upon the factory rectangular eyecup but doesn't want the large Nikon DK-3 style, consider the Olympus EP-6 eyecup. It's the same basic design as the Nikon original just larger and with more cushion. Snaps right on like it was made for the Nikon bodies. Love it on the smaller bodies like the D40 series.

Here's a few quick snaps to give you an idea of how the DK-3 assembly looks on the D300:

p633364120.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p802389582.jpg

p911246256.jpg

Stay away from Hoodman Eyecup!

I still use the standard, but I have been looking into buying the new Eyecup from Hoodman. Itseems like anice upgrade.

After reading thru this thread, I ordered the Hoodman H-EYEN22S Eyecup from Amazon. My advice is not to order this item. It simply does not fit properly on either my D300 or my D80. It's too tight to even get it on the camera. And if you do manage to get it on (which I couldn't), I don't think that you'd ever be able to get it off again.

Now I have to figure out how return this dud to Amazon.....:frown:

YOu know -- I was pretty happy with my Hoodeye from Hoodman for my D90 -- and yes -- it was hard to get on -- but it STAYED on
They do have a little video on their web site with instructions on how to put it on -- and take it off

I am still considering this for my new camera as well

Take extra care and attention when attaching the DK-3 cup to the finder. There is a tiny groove in the cup that helps lock the finder-to-cup union. This prevents loss in the field as often reported in the various fora.

ok I am totally not dense but tell me if this is the procedure cause I see no other way to put it together. The eyecup fits between the round screw in part and the rectangular piece? I'm sitting here with it and see no other way to connect the rubber cup other than have it sandwiched between the other two parts which leaves little thread left actually.

No, Glenn, I'm the dense one :redface:

The three pieces for the rectangular conversion are a simple go-together as you're seeing. My comments regarding the cup installation cautions pertained to the large round eyepiece of the D2 series bodies when installing a DK-19 or DK-2 rubber eye cup. Folks were using o-rings between the pieces to keep the cup in place when it really wasn't necessary if installed properly.

The rectangular viewfinder conversion is very straightforward with none of those concerns. My apologies for the brain flatulence!

No, Glenn, I'm the dense one :redface:

The three pieces for the rectangular conversion are a simple go-together as you're seeing. My comments regarding the cup installation cautions pertained to the large round eyepiece of the D2 series bodies when installing a DK-19 or DK-2 rubber eye cup. Folks were using o-rings between the pieces to keep the cup in place when it really wasn't necessary if installed properly.

The rectangular viewfinder conversion is very straightforward with none of those concerns. My apologies for the brain flatulence!

No probs. It's just that I do residential heating, cooling and electric and was hoping I could figure this out or have a reason to start monitoring fire dept scanners:redface:

Latest threads

Top Bottom