D300 Firmware Upgrade effect on 14 Bit Shutter Lag...

Since updating the firmware on my D300, I hadn't have had a chance to try it out.
But I had read several post on how some thought it improve WB and AF etc.

So tonight I finally had a time to try out a few things...
It feels that the AF does work better in lower light but need to try this a bit more to be totally convinced that it is.

But the main thing that I noticed is when I switch from 12 Bit to 14 Bit RAW, the shutter lag that I use to experienced seems to be virtually gone...:smile:
Still not as fast as 12 bit speed, but very close, almost indistinguishable between the 12 & 14 Bit settings....
IMO I feel it has improved heaps....

Has anyone else noticed this...???

Hi!

No, sorry.... I didn't notice anything ... 14 bit shutter release nearly sounds like a double 12 bit release ... Would have been nice ... (but 6 fps with 14 bit would also be nice ...)

Cheers,
Bernd

I am experiencing a noticable improvement in the shutter lag when shooting 14-bit RAW. I agree with the OP. While it was painfully noticable before, now it's barely detectable and not an issue. I'd say they sped it up by 75% at least.

Hopefully the folks that measured this scientifically (Marianne Oelund and Thom Hogan) will re-do their tests! I've asked Marianne in her original DPR thread to re-run the tests. :)

First welcome to the Cafe' Bernd....
Like JAFO stated. this was not a scientific test but just the feel of it when using...
Before the update, it was painfully slow, even the speed of my P&S seemed like lightning fast compared to the lag with 14 bit.
But since the upgrade, although there is still a lag, it's only just slight...
Will be interesting to see the results from a controlled test...

Anyway, I just thought that this might have been an interest to some that have stayed away from using 14 bit because of the shutter lag and have only used 12 bit....:smile:

T

TonyBeach

I have not done the firmware upgrade yet. I'm a firm believer in "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", and so far I haven't seen anything about my D300 that needs fixing. If I start reading about faster AF or less shutter lag in 14 bits I will consider doing the update, but the jury is still definitely out on these issues.

Regarding 14 bit shutter lag, well it is slightly faster on my D300 than my old D70 cameras had -- which means I could probably even use it for sports if I had to (after all, I used the D70 and it also had only marginally better fps and a much smaller buffer).

I shot some photos at a company celebration today... As well as some photos at Universal Citywalk in Hollywood. All with 14-bit RAW. I had zero issues with shutter lag. If you aren't paying attention to it, it feels like the speed I get with 12-bit. Yes if you do one then the other and are testing for the difference, there is one a small lag (but I think it's probably close to 25% of the old lag time). In practice though, it is not noticable. Love it.

Thank you, soxOZ!

My test wasn't scientific at all, too. Just a few quick shots. This evening i will have the opportunity to do some nature shots (river danube) during the blue hour ... so i will try to compare again ...

Cheers,
Bernd

S

scooptdoo

i havent noticed any delay or loss of speed since switching ro 14 bit.if at some point im in a sitcuation were im not satisfied with my 300's speed well then ill switch to 12 bit?

Revisiting this... I got this email response from Thom Hogan regarding the decrease in shutter lag in 14-bit RAW with the D300 1.03 firwmare:

"Yes, it’s faster now." - Thom Hogan

There you have it. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom