D300 focus fine-tuning depending on aperture and distance?

Folks,

this really freaks me out...

Is focus fine-tuning depending of distance and aperture? I have been trying to get my lenses adjusted, but I find that I do not get consistent results. It looks that, when I adjust a lens by setting it at F1.4 (or 1.8) for smallest DOF and start shooting different subjects, I manage to get rather consistent results after tweaking the adjustment level a bit. Let's say, a +10 adjustment looks fine. Not in focus every shot, but most of them.

Happy to have found the proper adjustment level, I then go to F4, and start shooting the same subjects, only to find out that they appear to be out of focus more then with aperture wide-open.... and more inconstistent results. And that, after tweaking a while, I find that at F4 I need an adjustment of +5......

And then there is distance: tweak at about 1.5 x closest focusing distance, until sharp at level +10. Then, at 5 x closest focusing distance, I need a level of 15....

This happens with a 50/1.4, with flash to eliminate the influence of camera shake.. When this lens is in focus... it is really sharp (at F2.8 and smaller aperture). But, I cannot get it to perform consistently with only one adjustment level.

Anyone else noticed this? I know lots of D300 owners are tweaking their lenses' focussing, so what are your experiences?

Thymen

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tintingkc

I played with one of my lenses last night and saw the same thing. My lens was fine and I just wanted to see the impact the settings made. I did see some inconsistency like you mentioned.

A

abril1127

Im having that problem too. Mine was never sharp to start with...so I tweaked it and it looks good for close up shots (which is what I harpened it with) But far away when I zoom to 100% in PS its fuzzy.

One focal length, no problem for a prime. Different tweak per F-stop/focussing distance is not nice...

However, one can always select the F-stop and distance most used, and optimize that. It will surely better the entire range.

My original question was intended for getting an idea of how much the bandwidth of autofocussing was when put against these parameters. But then again, lately I found out that the bandwidth of lens performance differs hugely between lenses of same models.

I am sure people like e.g. Nute, in order to make those razor-sharp images that they show here all the time, are either extremely lucky in getting the top performers at first buy, or that they sift through a lot to get them.

Next time I buy a lens (24-70...:Love: ????), I will have it thorougly checked/tested before accrepting it...

Thymen

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom