1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 Friday Night Football: Examples 4500 ISO and 6400 ISO

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by rustyfingers, Aug 30, 2008.

1. From the D300 w/300 2.8 I would use noiseware or similar on these but I left them untouched so ya'll could check them out. I would rather have this than the flash look but the paper want's flash so I flash.

D300 4500 ISO/500/2.8 Auto WB (If I did this all the time I'd shoot RAW. These were shot as JPGS)

Quality is 72 DPI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D300 6400 ISO/500/2.8
    [​IMG]

2. Very nice - shows how well the D300 does.

Why does the paper say it likes flash?

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    when it comes to this high of ISO I prefer flash to be honest. Anything above 3200 begins to get washed out. With flash it brings back the colors in the image.

I think it handled it well, but the colors look blah to me.

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Very nice with that high of an ISO. Lights must have been pretty bad, Frank only had to go up to 2000 on his shots.

5. I've had to go up to 3200 in a Professional Stadium before. While it's darker than most professional fields, it's A LOT better of lights than almost all of us will ever get for a HS game.

I personally prefer the noise, over the flash look. I think it looks horrible, to be honest. Just doesn't seem right.

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Kiz,

So even though it would be tough as nails to get those to print at a decent look you would still use those over flash?

If your selling to parents a face is the most important part of an image. Flash allows you to see that face in these holes we call high school football fields.

Not sure why your so against it, have you tried it? If not you really should, it's not as bad as you think. Plus there are ways to make it not seem so "flashed"

And also at the end of the day a flashed image will print better then a high iso image

7. I've tried it twice. While I never got the perfection of it, even those on here who do have it perfect ... I just personally don't like the look of it.

In regards to it not being so "flashed", what do you refer to? The mounting of the flash just off the ground, mounted?

And yeah, I agree about the photo selling better ... I'm just lucky here to only have one team in the area who plays 8 pm games, so I'm ok with my feelings on it for now.

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Very nice Dennis!
    Good shots, other than just the high ISO...these are good action shots.

9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Adrian,

how does football work in canada? I suppose I could look it up, but I always wondered how the programs work (ages, grades, etc..)

10. There's two leagues that most play in, summer, as well as their fall leagues (HS / Canadian University for older kids). For those too young, there's also the lower age groups for house league. Summer is a city rep team, which is similar to an AAU team for basketball. It's the higher level competition, and what the kid's care about more than High School. High school is Varsity and JV. Summer is whichever age group you fall into (18-19, 16-17, 14-15, and down.) There's also spring leagues which some play in, but it's more so just to keep in shape, where you're not really concerned about the level of competition. Surprisingly up in Canada, football starts in May, and ends as late as December.

The main difference between High School Football in Canada and the States, is the times they're played at. Up here, JV (grades 9-10) usually plays at noon, while the Senior team plays at 3 or 3:30 -- after school, where the kids stay around. If it's a big game, they'll flip it, and have "buy outs" - pay $2 to watch the game, and skip class, so they get a huge turnout (by Canadian standards).

Hope that helps a bit with how it works. This is of course though, in the Greater Toronto Area. Here, and Vancouver are really the only two areas where I'd say football is bigger than every sport, aside from hockey.

11. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    oh wow that would be so nice to cover high school games in the day time! lol

Man that is a lot of football year round! (not really year round, but still a lot of it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.