D300 front focus/back focus issue

I was adjusting a D300 AF fine tuning last night and I may have an issue.

No matter what I do, it appears to not change. It is still focusing shallow.

On the last shots last night the battery light came on, so this could just be a battery issue, but.....

Are there any known bugs or issues I could have stumbled upon?

As far as I know this camera has not had any firmware upgrades. I believe it was made in the first couple months the D300 came out. It has been babied so I shouldn't expect any wear and tear issues. I can not think of anything else I can tell you to help you help me.

Thanks,

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You would be well advised to upgrade it to the latest firmware. It only takes a few minutes. There were some quite serious power problems with the early D300's, which were corrected by a firmware upgrade. (There is no battery light by the way!)

Your AF Fine Tune issue is almost certainly to do with how you are testing it and how you are adjusting it. You probably have nothing to worry about.

What lens? What focal length? What distance? What target? Are you making a setting for one lens, or a default for the camera? Are you photographing a slanted target, which is the usual mistake? If you search you will find lots on this.

I see lots of concern about backfocus with some cameras. It could be the AF of the lens in use.
Nikon has incorporated the lens fine-tuning in their new cameras but they warn the operator to be careful. Most probably how a lens or camera is tested has a lot to do with the results.
I do not believe I am the exception but in the many years I have used Nikon cameras and lenses I never had any issues with focus. I had to replace the lens mount of my old 80-400 lens a few months back and I took my also old D2H with the lens on. The technician that checked the camera told me that camera and lens were in perfect alignment. I knew that!
So, my advise if you believe you have a focus issue with a camera or with a lens is not to take the matter into your own hands. Take the camera and lens to a Nikon repair station and let them check camera and lens with their instruments. It takes only a minute and they can do the necessary adjustment in case something is off, for your peace of mind.
Just my personal opinion.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Although making this adjustment may be an internet issue, for me it is a matter of using lenses not intended to be macros as macros. Being dead on is sometimes very helpful.

As for the setup, let me just make this short. I adjusted my D7000. I had no issues adjusting front to back and getting on with all the lenses. Some of them are plus and some are negative. With adjustments they are dead on.

For the D300, there might have been human error or there might have been a firmware issue. I had a person working with me. Adjusting the camera and taking the shots.

After getting frustrated and having dead batteries (yes there is a battery indicator on the D300, it is red when the batteries are dead.).....

The batteries were recharged.
The firmware was upgraded (the owner will never know/care).
I took one last picture with the D300 to see if it would be good enough for what I was trying to do.....and it appears to be dead on.

I don't know if it was human error, being tired, firmware......but the problem seemed to solve it's self.

BTW, that one shot to test was the only shot I took with that camera all day. I didn't need a second body. Go figure, if I didn't have it I would have needed it, but having it I didn't need it.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
After getting frustrated and having dead batteries (yes there is a battery indicator on the D300, it is red when the batteries are dead.).....

There is no battery indicator which turns red on the D300. The battery state is shown graphically on the top display, and more information can be obtained from the menu system.

So where exactly do you claim to see this red battery indicator??

Perhaps you are looking at the CF card indicator light?

There is no battery indicator which turns red on the D300. The battery state is shown graphically on the top display, and more information can be obtained from the menu system.

So where exactly do you claim to see this red battery indicator??

Perhaps you are looking at the CF card indicator light?

I think we are having a terminology issue.

Graphical display = indicator. (As a computer guy, when I get down into the details, graphical displays are just a series of lights or a combination of lights to make shades of colors.)

So we can get on the same page, lets look at the same page. Take a look at page 10 in PDF or pg 36 of the use manual for the D300.

There is a graphical display on top and inside the viewfinder.
For the view finder, it is bottom left and turns red when there is not enough battery power.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think we are having a terminology issue.

Graphical display = indicator. (As a computer guy, when I get down into the details, graphical displays are just a series of lights or a combination of lights to make shades of colors.)

So we can get on the same page, lets look at the same page. Take a look at page 10 in PDF or pg 36 of the use manual for the D300.

There is a graphical display on top and inside the viewfinder.
For the view finder, it is bottom left and turns red when there is not enough battery power.

As you say there is a graphical image of a battery that appears on the top and in the viewfinder. But neither of these is ever red. They are black. If you can see red then your camera must be different to mine.

As you say there is a graphical image of a battery that appears on the top and in the viewfinder. But neither of these is ever red. They are black. If you can see red then your camera must be different to mine.

I guess they could have changed the viewer. This was one of the first D300 cameras. It was red when I saw it. Once the batteries are powered up, it is back into the black.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom