D300 guides

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rgordin, Sep 1, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Another thread asks about David Busch's D300 guide. I was considering this one as well as others, including Thom Hogan's. Mr. Hogan's primary guide is on a CD but he does offer a "shooting manual" and information on Capture NX2. I can't tell how well written each is for beginners to this camera (or to Capture NX, for that matter).

I would appreciate hearing your recommendations for guides, manuals.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Richard, Thom Hogan's e-books are very well written. I bought an e-book for my D2H when I first switched to digital from film. When I bought my D300, I waited very impatiently for the D300 e-book to be released. Thom is a fine writer in that he offers his opinions in easy-to-read statements. I like Thom's work and I can speak just as highly about David Busch's publications. Buy either or both with confidence knowing they will serve their purpose.

3. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    Ditto exactly.

4. Thom Hogans guides are good, today I ordered my 3rd one (D2H, D3 and now D300). Well written and highly usable, really worth the price.

5. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    While I want a good in-depth resource, I also want a book that will lead me by the hand for how to set the camera and the practical use and benefit of the settings in different situations. Does Thom Hogan's book do that? Because I can't read a chapter in advance (hint to Thom if he is reading this), I am a bit concerned about whether he writes for the advanced beginner as well as the pro (two extremes I know).

His new D300 manual comes in a huge e-book plus a 128-page printed reference guide. How difficult do you find to use the e-book? Are the photos helpful?

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks for taking the time.

6. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I have both and love both. Each gives the same basic material, but each goes into separate issues that will give you knowledge the other won't.

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

It's up to you . . .

I have Thom's for the D300 (my first DSLR) and I found it to be spot on. There is basic and advanced info and practical (experience-based) suggestions, too.

Ultimately though, it is up to the user to tap into the features of their camera and learn through guided (from the books) use, then graduate to changing things on our own, because we have graduated from understanding what a book says about a camera to understanding the camera itself.

Cheers!

8. I'm not sure what an advanced beginner is. Advanced amateur perhaps? :smile:

Thom's book gives suggested settings and explains the rationale for using them. I'm not a pro and I find it quite useful. David gives suggested settings also. I suspect that Busch's book would be less useful to a pro. It's more an expanded version of the manual, but they both spend time - and pages - discussing things that I think that few serious users of the cameras will be interested in. (For instance, from my perspective, in-camera retouching is something that I'll never use. I've got more capable software on my notebook and main computers, and each has much better screens than the monitor on the back of the camera, good as that might be for reviewing photos).

They're both useful.

9. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Touche. Point well taken.

Thanks all for your advice. Think I will start with Thom :biggrin: