1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 HDMI and LCD monitor vs HDTV

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jlcabral, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jlcabral

jlcabral

Jul 12, 2008
    Colorado
    I need help with selecting a new computer monitor and video card that I would like to use at times with an HDMI connection to live view via tripod on the D300. I am currently doing this via HDTV at 1080p, and you can see where I'm at with this via this post.

Now, I have to purchase a new LCD monitor, after giving mine to my daughter, and I would like to buy one that has an HDMI connector so that I can do this same thing only via a 24" monitor. Note that I do NOT want to use Camera Control Pro, which I do have, because it has a fixed window size. I want to recreate what I'm doing with the TV on a monitor.

I am looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP because of it's high rating at CNet. I am also looking at any of their video cards that have an HDMI connector. My question is do I need the HDMI connector on both the monitor and the video card, and which one do I connect the HDMI cable coming from the camera to? The monitor will do 1920 x 1200. My current video card, which does not have HDMI, will do higher than that, so perhaps I can just use what I have in terms of the video card - I'm very confused on what I need to do this.

I called Dell and got a girl that barely spoke English and did nothing more than read me a long list of the features of the monitor. I kept asking her to transfer me to someone that could help me with hooking this all up to a D300, but she didn't seem able to do that. I finally hung up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I'm trying to understand your question and it appears as though you want to be able to hook up your computer to a new monitor and also your camera. The camera you want to hookup via HDMI.

You shouldn't need a new video card. There is no reason to hookup your computer to the monitor via HDMI. That Dell monitor has VGA, DVI, HDMI, Display Port, and some low res video ports. Chances are you're interested in the HDMI port and the DVI port.

Essentially all HDMI does is sends a DVI video signal and a digital audio signal together. For a computer-monitor connection it doesn't gain you anything so don't worry about trying to hookup your computer up with HDMI. DVI or even VGA will work perfect for what you want.

So to sum it up, that monitor should work great. Hook the camera up to it via HDMI and your computer up to it via DVI or VGA.

Do keep in mind that monitor is 1920x1200 so 1080p will have bars at the top and bottom for a perfect pixel-pixel display. 1080p is 1920x1080. You won't want to "stretch" the display if you're doing macro work with it.

3. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    >>>>> "I called Dell and got a girl that barely spoke English and did nothing more than read me a long list of the features of the monitor. I kept asking her to transfer me to someone that could help me with hooking this all up to a D300, but she didn't seem able to do that. I finally hung up." <<<<<

These days, that's the kind of service you get from Dell. Dell is battling furiously to regain their old reputation, but it's a slow battle. (That's why the CEO was fired and Michael Dell is back in charge) If you were a "business computer buyer," you might get a US representative. But as a "consumer," you still get somebody in Bangalore or South Africa.

Try HP . . .

4. schwazche

schwazche

May 4, 2008
    Tulsa
    Dan1son is correct, I do this myself. All you need is an "available" HDMI input on your monitor or TV. I have an old HP w22 monitor with a DVI and regular VGA input. I use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (about $15) to connect my D300. Any monitor or TV that supports 1081i or 720p will work fine.

DVI and HDMI can be confusing, but they are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The main difference is that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same video encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa.

Hope this makes sense!

Brian

5. jlcabral

jlcabral

Jul 12, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone! I ordered the Dell via the online store this morning. I was relieved to not have to buy a new video card also. I sincerely appreciate the input.

6. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    You won't regret it. I have it myself, and it is a phenomenal monitor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.