1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 High ISO

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by dkabat, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Was really surprised this weekend when using new D300 in a museum. Went to Chihuly Exhibit at deYoung Museum if SF and shot mostly at ISO 1600 and was thrilled with results compared to the D200. Have taken a lot of high ISO D200 images, ballooning in early am, and most of the images were not usable - ISO 1000 to 1600.

Now I have to try and understand the UniWB to tame the histogram a bit. Had a lot of blown reds as you can imagine. Sure wish there was one place to read about UniWB other than the multiple threads here and DPR.

This is nice.
    Dan

2. The D300 is really nice HI-ISO. If it wasn't for the D3/D700 performance, I'd say it's pretty good compared to the rest of the competition!

3. NateD

NateD Guest

That's one of the reasons I plan on getting one later this summer. I wish I could afford the D700 (notice I didn't say D3:eek: ). I shoot a lot of high school football and the dim stadiums in Texas need all the help they can get

4. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    D3 and D700 are out of my league plus I like having DX for field of view. At this point going wider than my 12-24 is not needed. D300 really addressed my biggest D200 problem - high ISO. Next wish list item is that I better understand the auto focus. Will going to Africa in November on a private safari and need to get up to speed.

Dan

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    can you post a couple of those ISO 1600 shots?

6. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Sorry Frank - would love to but I don't have a place to store my pics on the net. Would be happy to email you a small JPEG if you would supply me with your address via PM.

Dan

7. NateD

NateD Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If the OP doesn't mind, here's a ISO 1600 shot from my D300. No noise reduction in camera or in PP.
    100150423.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

9. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Thanks for covering for me.

Dan

10. I run a largely moribund website at http://capture360.net that allows folks to load and link pics (that's what I use it for anyway).

Feel free to make use. Only allows small files but enough for viewing on linked sites.

11. dkabat

dkabat

Aug 10, 2005
    Minden, Nevada
    Thank you very much - may take advantage of that in the future.

Dan

12. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    I've had very usable photos from the D300 at ISO 3200 - much better than the D70 at 1600.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.