1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 in camera noise reduction

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Terri French, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I've got the High ISO noise reduction in my camera set to normal. I'm not sure if that is a good thing to do or not.

How do you folks have your camera set on this particular setting? Any advice for me? Thom Hoggan suggests putting it on low.

I've been using Auto ISO with a maximum of 1600 and a minimum shutter speed of 100.

2. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Wouldn't your minimum shutter speed depend on your lens - weight, VR? You might be unnecessarily pushing a higher ISO than you want.

3. I chose 100 for my shutter speed 100 because I am usually photographing my active grandkids and didn't want to blur their motion.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Terri....

I alsways use OFF up to 800 and then low afterwards...but I don't use auto iso

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    same here

6. Auto ISO isn't ideal, but when you are chasing around little kids indoors with a fast lens and want to take a photo without flash, it seems that Auto ISO is a real great option. If they run near a window it might take a photo at ISO 200, but if they get in a darker area, it automatically bumps up. I've never really used it before, but with the better ISO performance of the D300, it seems like a feature that might be helpful for me in this type of shooting. If I am outdoors, it seems to use ISO 200 automatically. In that case, I don't think that any type of noise reduction is applied automatically.

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

or neeeded.yes auto iso is great for the situation you discribe.

8. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    After one or two months of initial testing, I decided to leave mine on Low all the time. Using Low, there is no noise reduction at Iso 100-400; at ISO 800 a small of noise reduction is applied, but it does not reduce detail that much (you would have to pixel peep to see the slight loss). I don't notice I need noise reduction on all Iso 800 images, but the shadows can look noisy without, especially if you bump up the shadows pp or use active d-lighting. The grain looks acceptable to me at Iso1600 and 3200 in low, but definately has much more noisy texture than the Normal setting. I think you would have to decide with your own experience what level of noise reduction looks better to you, at these higher Iso settings. The thing that bothers me with Normal setting is that detail gets smeared and looks less sharp.

Sandro has made some good posts in the past regarding how higher in camera sharpening settings make much more noise at ISO1600 and 3200. If you want to reduce noise at ISO1600 or higher, keep the sharpening modest or zero and sharpen afterwards. Of course this applies if you are intending on using the in camera JPEG, and not PP using RAW. If you are developing raw files, Sandro also found out if you use the color moire reduction on medium in Capture NX you can reduce noise further.

Thom suggests turning off in camera sharpening at ISO1600 and above, but I find I just use the Raw files at the higher ISO and work through Capture NX or my preference CS3...if I don't ended up liking the in-camera Jpeg result.

Did you get Thom's D300 guide?

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I agree with Alan, I have set mine to low as well and seem to like what it does. Sometimes I use auto-iso if the light is constantly changing and I need to keep my shutter speed at a certain level...

10. I have it on LOW all the time and (as I shoot RAW) adjust in NX2 as necessary. That is, set NR to high quality or even switch it off and use moire reduction to kill slight chroma noise which usually keeps more detail than using NR to eliminate chroma noise.
    I think in any case, low was always enough to cope with chroma noise.

As for Auto ISO, I have in on all the time, max 1600 and I adjust the min shutter speed depending on lens (focal length), situation (landscape, kids) or whatever I think is appropriate. (I put it in my customized menu to have quick access to it).
    Ok, one exception: If I use flash indoors and want to control the amount of ambient light I usually switch Auto ISO off and choose a fixed ISO setting.

11. I am so grateful for all these quick and wonderful replies. I will definitely change mine to low. My daughter had her new baby yesterday and I wanted to get a grasp on a good setting to use for photos of the new little boy!!

Of course, I always shoot RAW so I guess that whatever setting I choose can be changed in NX2 if I don't like it.

I hadn't heard about using moire reduction to kill chroma noise. I will definitely give it a try.

Hope you don't mind if I don't reply to each person. I have an important new family member that I need to go and visit!!

12. Congrats on the Grandson. Two of my grandkids came in from North Carolina last night.I should be taking lots of pictures this weekend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.