1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 ISO 100 question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by genesiss, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Can someone explain ISO 100 on a D300??
    I mean there is no ISO 100 but an equivalent
    can someone explain how it works?
    thanks

2. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Basically the image is exposed one stop more than ISO 200 and the data shifted over to reflect that. You get the same results shooting RAW by using ISO 200 and increasing EV by one stop and then readjusting the data in the RAW converter by setting it back one stop. For instance, if you are shooting at ISO 200, 250s, f/8; then you could just shoot at ISO 200, 125s, f/8 and without switching to ISO Lo 1. Using ISO Lo settings on the D300 are helpful if you are shooting JPEG, using Speedlights or studio lights and want to use a faster flash sync speed instead of stopping down the lens or reducing the output of the strobes.

3. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Lower noise...

From my limited empirical experience I get the cleanest (less noise) images with ISOs below 200 with the inconvenience of a slight reduction in dynamic range.

However, I gather that these settings are not native to the sensor, and I do not know what happens in camera.

4. Thanks Tony-Keko
    I like shooting long time exposure,
    and most of the time I do it on ISO 200
    I try not to go up or down, since I did not
    Understand what was happening at Lo 1,
    but will try what you are saying and see what
    happens

Leo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.