1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 ISO value and dynamic range

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Thymen, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Thymen

Thymen

Jun 18, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Hello folks;

the past few days there has been an exotic festival in our city. Several nationalities present their countries, their national dishes, their music and dances. I went there Thursday, first real opportunity to use my D300. I put my 18-200 VR on it.

I used ISO 200 mostly, and relied on the VR to get sharp images at around 1/200 or so. However, some dancers moved so swiftly that there was quite some movement blurr.

I went back the next day, and used ISO 400 / 800, for shorter shutter speeds. Weather conditions about the same (sunny) around same time of day.

Movement blurr less, but, I noticed that the dynamic range appeared to have decreased with the increase of ISO. Pictures appeared to be far more contrasty with higher ISOs...

Remember the film days? Dull, dreary days were for low-speed ISO films to increase contrast, sunny days one used higher speed film to reduce it. Just the opposite of want you wanted regarding shutter speed, unfortunately. And don't get me started on over-exposure and under-developing to get proper gamma....

I am not sure, but it thought that the issue dynamic range vs. ISO speed belonged to the past, now with digital sensors. However, it seems as if it is still there, but in reverse.....

Somebody got some info on this?

Thymen

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Your findings are correct.

Rough rule of thumb says that you lose about 1 stop of DR when you change ISO one stop from the base ISO. Each sensor and implementation differs a little, but that is a good enough estimate.

3. Thymen

Thymen

Jun 18, 2007
    The Netherlands
    ah well.....

Johan Cruyff, our famous Dutch soccer-player of a few decades ago, once said: "elk foordeel hep se nadeel", which translates into "every advantedge includes a dis-advantedge".

I was (am) happy with the low-noise characteristics of the D300 at higher ISOs, but was not aware of the price one has to pay in loss of dynamic range.....

Thymen

4. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    The only phrase I know in dutch is "lekker poepen" but I am not quite sure it is appropriate in this thread. :wink:

I am a big fan of dutch football though. Go Ajax! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.