D300 - JPEG settings

What settings is everyone using to get JPEG's to look the best straight out of the camera? I use the Neutral picture control the most and shoot motocross 95% of the time.

Not many replies? The forum seems less lively than awhile back. I shoot raw like most probably do because it covers a multitude of sins and screw ups.
With something like motocross have you tried a more vivid setting? You might like that as far as colors go.

Neutral or (D2X mode I)
sharpness +6
contrast +1
brightness -
....for stunning Jpegs SOOC

Just make sure you're shooting LG/Fine and compression set to Optimal
D-Light and NR to OFF
I've put over 100K on the D300 and shoot rodeo/BIF/candids & portraits. YMMV :wink:

Put a raw file into NX2 or Nikon View and see how you like it adjusted. Then use those settings for your JPEG in camera.

Keep in mind all settings in NX are not available in camera, guessing curves is one. I never do JPEG, but that would be my starting point.

It also depends on your end use. Your printer may have some influence you do not like. Contrast being one factor, sharpening being another.
Sharpening really depends on matt or glossy and how large or small a print you wish to make.

One size does not all.

Neutral or (D2X mode I)
sharpness +6
contrast +1
brightness -
....for stunning Jpegs SOOC

Just make sure you're shooting LG/Fine and compression set to Optimal
D-Light and NR to OFF
I've put over 100K on the D300 and shoot rodeo/BIF/candids & portraits. YMMV :wink:
I use the same settings except I like Portrait over Neutral for SOOC below ISO 800. The difference is slight, but I like the contrast curve of Portrait a bit better than Neutral for JPGs straight from the camera. The Portrait setting tends to induce a tiny bit more noise than the Neutral setting at all ISOs, so for shots where the ISO is below 800 I use Portrait. For shots at ISO 800 and above, I tend to use Neutral.

Put a raw file into NX2 or Nikon View and see how you like it adjusted. Then use those settings for your JPEG in camera.
+1 Excellent advice.
That's how I came to like Portrait over Neutral for a lot more than just portraits.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Excellent advice.

For in camera jpeg's, my preferences are Standard Picture Control modified with Sharpening set at 2. I do the rest of the sharpening in Lightroom. Most of the time setting the white balance to "direct sunlight". If I am shooting under mixed indoor lighting then "Auto".

Next best choice is to use the optional D2XMODE2 picture control with white balance set to "direct sunlight"

Like Ronald M says, one size does not fit all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom