1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 L bracket on D700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Doug, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Ok, you know, I'm a bracket tinkerer maybe from my D3/RRS hack, not to be outdone, I decided to retain my D300 L bracket until the D700 was on the ground.

A few cork cabinet stops later, the D300 L bracket seems to be working fine on the D700. (Non grip model)

So, here's what I did:

[​IMG]

As you can see top right, the front prongs do clear the camera fine, so no dings there. There is aplace at the back it could leave a mark, but if positioned correctly, it seems rather insignificant at this point. I'm calling this a "fit" for my purposes, I will not be buying a D700 bracket.

The fact the screw is on a slider down low allows you to position the L part close to body, but not touching. The angle is just slightly different, but not enough to matter typically. You can easily compensate any difference with tri-pod and head for leveling.

Certainly try at your OWN Risk, I take no responsibility for any scrapes, scratches, blunders of your own doing. But the bracket works fine for me.

I'll take new images of it on there, I need to reshoot that image.

[​IMG]

They only real place I saw for potential to leave a mark was the bottom right back edge where the bracket gets close to camera, if you really torque it down with the cork or other suitable spacer, you could mark the camera there. But so far, that is all I see as possible.

Enjoy.
    Doug

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  2. triples2008

triples2008 Guest

intersting solution.....

I also kept my brackets from the D300 for the 700-- I was going to tackle it a different way- machine out the conflicting areas with a little milling cutter and then paint the bracket black again.

But... I have to say, sometimes simpler is better! I will give this a 'go'- maybe less work too!

... I like the idea of saving a few bucks.

3. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Doug, looks like a nice solution.

Curious, is there any flex introduced by the gap in this modification? Mounted in a tripod does it feel as rock solid?

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I have cut on these brackets before. I'd do that as a last call. It could be that you may wish to machine a bit on that back right corner John. There is a possible contact point there to the edge of body.

Madone, I think it works well. I will test the flex tonight on tri-pod, but generally, I believe it will be just fine, and will be solid. Cork is an amazingly solid material when used as a compression agent. Once you've compressed the cork down to a snug, not tight fit, there's very little compression area left, especially with weight spread evenly across base. Anyone that has done any motor work knows, cork is a old time gasket material of choice.

The cupboard cork should be just fine for this. If you are nervous about it though, you can always convert to the real deal in oh, 6-8 weeks? (assuming you don't like current planned bracket or available as case may be) Of course, Kirk may have one available too.

I have no qualms to this approach, as I have used cork as a filler base before.

5. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    With all due respect, would it not be better to get the right L-Bracket, especially, with 3K body. I'm biased because I'm looking for used d300 L-bracket. :biggrin:

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    HAHA Amir, good point. Yes, of course, it would be better, but sometimes, you do things out of $$$ necessity, but fear not, I think you'll still find a D300 brax eventually even with creative souls doing mods to keep using used brax.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.