D300 LCD brightness - I listened to those who said to set it at -1 - Big mistake!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by stayathomedad, Jul 31, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    When I first got my D300 I saw multiple people say to set the LCD brightness at -1...

Well who was I to disregard their recommendation...

Anyways, my images always looked overexposed and I never found the reason why until my uncle came over last week and it dawned on me that the problem could be that I had the brightness set too low, which cased me to overexpose the shots when I was reviewing the images in real time...

Stupid mistake and I should have known better...

And I thought I bumped it up... but today I shot 500 real estate photos... most of which are overexposed... and when I checked it was still at -1... Stupid me again... lol...

Now I have it set at +1 were it should be!

:tongue:

2. Remember, you have a histogram. That's the best indicator of whether or not your exposure is correct. Set your LCD to the setting you like and make any exposure adjustments based only on the histogram, never on how the image looks on your LCD. Another good idea is to leave the review so the highlights flash to show overexposure.

3. +1 on using the histogram and blinkies for exposure guidance, LCD is more for focus (thanks Nikon for the hi rez LCD) and composition.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Agreed.

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    You were basing your exposures on the LCD? Hmmmm.
    I would definately recommend the histogram as well.

6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I would glance at it to see how the photo was looking and then went from there...

sometimes the obvious isn't obvious... ha....

7. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Yep, you got suckered by the talking' heads. Hopefully you've learned a lesson. I think its funny that so many try to outthink the Nikon engineers.

My similar story is when I shot a D70 with a backfocus problem for 2 years. The folks on the Internet convinced me this was a 'myth'. When my D70 came back from Nikon service with *perfect* focus, I felt really stupid for not trusting my eyes. But that will never happen again, so lesson learned.

8. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

LOL, I have yet to use a histogram to judge exposure, because I trust my eyes more than any "computer". Thats what they are there for. Use them, you may find out that they will not lie to you, as the histogram WILL.

Just as jcovert said, he was right, but all the forum hype made him think differently. The eyes never lie. Just keep that in mind :)

Hope this is food for thought :)

9. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    depending on where u view the image. ususally 0 or +1 works best. Trust Nikon

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  10. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    I've my LCD on -2.

11. So, what you're trying to say is, the default LCD brightness is the perfect setting for all environmental lighting conditions, and if left in the default position, you can judge the exposure based on it alone? Sorry, but that's far from being true. My D80's LCD is in the default brightness, yet my pics open up on my computer consistently underexposed unless I use my histogram and the blinking highlights to let me know when I'm getting too close to the right. But hey, use whatever you feel works. PS, the histogram does not lie. All it's doing is giving you a graphic representation of the brightness levels of each pixel. If you misread the histogram, that's your bad. Don't blame it on a lying histogram.

12. As with anything, perception of brightness is subjective but the reality is that you should never use the LCD as a reference for exposure/brightness/contrast, etc.

No matter how good or high resolution it is, it is not an accurate representation of all those variables.

From my own experience I can say that if I had been using the LCD to check exposure I'd be screwed. A great example of this is shooting on a pure white (white with no detail) background. If I were to use the LCD I could easily think I'm getting pure white backgrounds when in fact I can be as much as 1 stop under and I would never know it based on the LCD.

I reference the LCD for focus accuracy and I use the histogram and blinkies to get an idea of where I stand in terms or clipping or driving shadows into black.

So... I do turn down the brightness on my LCD to -1 at times so that I can see a more accurate representation of the shot but it's still not what I rely on to judge exposure.

I don't think that anyone would actually recommend that you turn down the brightness and then use the LCD for exposure. It's just to bring things a bit closer to what is being shot and for judging highlights it's a bit more effective that the default setting.

As always, you HAVE to use your eyes, your skill and knowledge, intuition and you MUST understand your camera's metering system and its various modes.

My 2 cents.

13. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX

It's just like diplomacy, trust but verify. Do get in the habit of checking the histogram now and again to be sure the calibration of your eyes hasn't drifted somewhat!

14. I honestly don't know what you mean. Trust your eyes looking at an LCD that is proven to be inaccurate??? Now if you're talking about using your eyes to gauge the scene and use good exposure adjustment to get it right (like I did with slides back in the day), then I might agree.

15. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I would trust the histogram over +1 on a lcd brightness.

16. I use the histogram but +1 seems on par with what the shots really look like. Works for me anyway but your all right stating that the LCD is NOT the final answer.

17. Wow, that's incredible. If I were to use +1 on LCD brightness everything would appear overexposed and blue skies would be white with very light skies blown out. It's interesting how truly subjective things are.

18. I gess it holds true that not all things are created equal! :confused::biggrin:

19. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

I ALWAYS RUN MY MONIYORS MAXED OUT.IVE herd people say it makes them last longer if you tone them down.so what i want 110 percent from any machine i operate!

20. What does that have to do with this thread?:confused: Are you saying you turn your LCD brightness all the way to the max? Or are you saying you use your LCD to determine if your exposure is correct? Your posts are incredibly difficult to read/interpret, and come off very abrasive. Chill out man. No need to have an attitude with every comment you make.