1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D300 Manual/Shutter Mode problem?!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by idleowen, Jul 30, 2009.

1. idleowen

idleowen

Aug 19, 2008
    Australia
    Hi,
    Hoping I can get some help here to a problem I'm having with Manual Mode and Shutter Priority Mode on my D300.I was shooting some basketball yesterday and was wanting to switch between Manual Mode and Shutter Mode for different effects.
    I've noticed that the camera wont retain independant shutter speed values for the 2 modes,i.e. if I set 1/500th SS in Manual mode and then 1/30th SS in Shutter Priority mode,then switch / shoot between modes it wont retain the different settings.It sets both modes SS's to whatever was last used???
    Had a scan through menus etc but couldnt find anything that would 'lock' it in.
    I was shooting a in "Sports" Shooting and Custom Setting bank that I set up from Thom Hogan D300 guidelines.(but seemed to have same effect if I chose the default d300 shotting/custom modes).
    I have the latest firmware.
    Any ideas??

thks Nigel

2. idleowen

idleowen

Aug 19, 2008
    Australia
    same on my d80

ouch,does the same on my D80 too......

3. Nigel,

I think what you need to do is not switch between modes while you are in a bank, but switch between banks.

For example, I shoot ski racing primarily in Manual mode, out of bank A. If I want to switch to aperture priority, I would set up Bank B to be aperture priority with the defaults that I want.

I also set a bank that is my default, (versus Nikon's) based on Thom's suggestions.

The key point is that although you set a condition in the menu, the camera will always accept any changes you make on the fly and will retain them until you reset them to initial setting.

Hope this helps.

4. idleowen

idleowen

Aug 19, 2008
    Australia
    a tad frustrating......

Mark,
    Thks for your suggestion,it probably would solve the problem but to me this would be harder (slower?) to do than just simply using the mode/command dial whilst still looking through the viewfinder,I'm surprised switching modes didnt allow this (retain previously set up parameters)
    Its not a problem that is a huge issue and most time I'm shooting sports its not an issue as I'm in one mode or the other for a longer period of time.....at the basketball (wheelchair) I was trying to use a slow shutter speed when the team with the ball were 'speeding' up the field,across the frame and I was trying to pan at slow speed (1/30th)to capture the motion...then when they were at the basket I wanted to quickly switch to shutter priority to freeze the action (which I set at 1/500th)..............thats when I was finding the problem.............
    regards,Nigel

so does this occur on other Nikon Dslrs?

5. i know that the D90 if you set A and switch to S the setting stay..

actually i use it like that since the d90 has not customer settings bank :frown:

6. pgdsm

pgdsm

Jan 30, 2009
    Edmonton ab
    My d60 keeps the settings. Which I really like cause I find I am in situations that I want to quickly change and this works perfect.
    Seems like the lower models support that but not the higher. I was talking to a guy with a d700 and he said it was the same as yours. ( well was surprised that mine kept the setting)

7. idleowen

idleowen

Aug 19, 2008
    Australia
    thks guys...........Just so I dont feel 'alone'....can a D300 owner confirm the 'issue' I'm having is the same on their camera?

8. I can confirm that if you set the SS at 1/500 in M, then switch to S, the SS stays the same.

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

This is exactly how it is designed to work, and I find it very useful.

For example in M you could set 1/1000 and f/16.

Then if you go to S mode where you want a fast shutter speed, you have it set, and if you go to A mode where you want a lot of depth of field, you have it set already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.