D300 Mirror/Shutter problem

Hi,
Just thought I'd record this on the forum in case any other owners have a similar problem. I started to get mirror 'lockup' when shooting a burst sequence,not every sequence but often enough to miss some good shots.
The mirror returned when the shutter button was pressed again,the resultant image completely blown out (over exposed). I hoped it would 'go away' but it didnt,took it into Nikon and verdict was that the "I BASE PLATE UNIT" and the "CHARGE BASE PLATE UNIT" needed replacement......apparently this is the guts that looks after aperture/shutter/mirror sequence when the shutter button is pressed.

Wasnt sure whether to get it repaired or not since shutter count is 130k and replacement d300s prices have dropped.............will sleep on it! (or have nightmares over it!)

ta,Nigel

cost

$400AUS for the base plate............and about the same for the shutter.........think the new body is looking the better option!

I had the same problem with my D300. At first, when shooting a burst sequence in Focus priority, the camera would stop working with the mirror locked up. I then figured out that I could still use the camera in Release priority, and miss one shot every 500 shots or so... but it got worse lately to where I miss one shot out of five.

The camera had 113,720 actuations when it started and I managed to extract another 5,000 shots of it until it became unusable.

I was thinking about getting it repaired, but I got a D7k "kit" instead with the instant rebate.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom